TOWING with a KJ...question ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep Liberty KJ For discussion of the new, Jeep Liberty "KJ" SUV.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

TOWING with a KJ...question ?

since the new CRD KJ is supposed to get good gas milage..figured could make a decent daily driver and occasional light tow-er..i was wondering how you owners would think it could tow?

i'm looking to flat tow or trailer tow my TJ.....mostly flat terrain so power isnt the big issue....just handling

let me know your opinions
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-05-2004, 09:37 PM
Enthusiast

Re: TOWING with a KJ...question ?

well ive towed a cj with a grand cherokee wich isnt exactly the same but pretty close. personally i thought the grand which i think is a bit longer than a liberty was too short to tow something that heavy. the grand was getting jerked around alot by the load and it was rather nerve wracking.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2004, 07:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think the Liberty is rated for 6,000 lbs. towing capacity. The rule that I was always taught was never pull something heavier than your vehicle. A wrangler weighs around 4,000 lbs and a liberty is slightly heavier, I believe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2004, 04:31 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

[ QUOTE ]
The rule that I was always taught was never pull something heavier than your vehicle

[/ QUOTE ]
rule doesnt always work....
tow 14K behind my 7,700 lb pickup. just fine
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 05:09 PM
Addict

Always like the 75% rule,,,never use tow vechicle for more than 75% of its rated tow capacity.
This gives good durability to components in the tow vechicle.
Soooooo much depends on wheel base of both vechicles, lentgth from hitch to back axle, wind frontage on trailer,
on and on....anyone can make a case for towing more weight that what the vechicle weighs but. STOPPING is the key issue of any rig. I have had the bad luck of trying to stop a balanced load only to find that when that trailer weight kept pushing my truck my jockey shorts got stained BIG TIME.....Hospital staff was nice. Tow truck drivers were nice, troopers were nice....judge in court was nice, jury was full of focking [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] arsewholes. And that was at 75% load with good breaks, good tires, dry weather. [img]images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2004, 11:44 PM
Can't Get Enough

I wouldnt advise this. Good luck finding a hitch big enough to be rated over 5,000 lbs for a Liberty, since i doubt anyone makes a classV hitch for a KJ( I know DrawTite doesnt) And you would also need a brake control and a trailer with brakes. You need a good size truck for this job.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 04:39 PM
RCWX

The Liberty will tow quite well. The short wheelbase and light weight limit what you should tow, but common sense will keep you out of trouble. An aluminum boat or trailer with 4 ATV's are just fine behind the Liberty.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2005, 08:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

KJ is rated 5000lbs max tow capacity per the mfg.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-17-2005, 09:40 AM
Can't Get Enough

I have a 2005 Liberty book in front of me, as I bought one as the family truckster yesterday. With the 3.7L and auto, it is good for 5,000 #, but they want it to have an aux. tranny & oil cooler and other goodies in the tow package. Without the "tow" package, or with a 6spd, they are good for 3,500 #. The CRD is listed in the engines section, but no tow data is provided. Flat towing would be easier on the Liberty as it removes the weight of a trailer, which figures in, as well. A tow dolly would also be a lighter choice.

Having towed race cars on open and enclosed trailers for thousands of combined miles, it is my experience that the biggest aid to towing is a long wheel base. This definitely smooths out the process. Dual rear wheels aid in stability while towing, but often actually decreases the tow rating due to the weight of that set up. The Liberty's relatively short wheelbase would probably make it less than ideal if you wanted to exceed the towing recommendations. Just my two cents, but keep in mind that I can't be that bright as I 'wheel a Commando. LOL.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 04:31 PM
Can't Get Enough

LOL Point taken [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodpost.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode