Liberty Stands up well to rear end collision - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep Liberty KJ For discussion of the new, Jeep Liberty "KJ" SUV.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2004, 11:10 AM
mvsand

Liberty Stands up well to rear end collision

My wife was stopped at an intersection last week, second car in line, when a minivan struck the back of the Liberty with enough force to move the Liberty & the car in front at least one full car length. You'd be amazed at how little apparent damage there was on the Liberty. The minivan that hit her had a demolished front end & a punctured radiator. The ford sedan in front lost it's rear bumber. For the Liberty, unless I told you that it was involved in such a wreck, you'd be hard pressed to notice any damage. Truly amazing! The minivan hit hit at the bottom of the spare tire, pushed that in a couple of inches until it made contact with the rear bumper. The bumper must have moved foreward somewhat but sprung back in place. The factory trailer hitch receiver took a lot of the blow but it even appears to be normal. ( I pulled my boat this weekend with no problems). Most of the damage appears to be to the rear tailgate behind the spare. the tailgate still opens & closes with little interference. The front bumper is scraped up & definately collapsed but sprung back into place. Don't yet know of hidden damage. Car runs great with no shimmy or rattles. Sorry for the long winded story but some of you may be interested in the confirmation that you are driving a very sturdy vehicle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-06-2004, 11:16 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Liberty Stands up well to rear end collision

Not to rain on your parade, but you said it best yourself
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
You'd be amazed at how little <font color="red">APPARENT </font color> damage there was on the Liberty

[/ QUOTE ]
Most vehicles, your liberty included, are a Uni-Body construction. They are designed to transfer collision damage to all parts of the vehicle in such a way as to protect occupents of the vehicle. Your liberty was the "MEAT" in a squish sandwich, the damage may not be visible or apparent by just looking at it, but it IS damaged and in such a way that I sure as he11 would not want to be in it again if it was in any simialar situation or worse. Also, if you keep it, most people who have accidents like that where there is no apparent damage, turn around and sell it right away or very soon after when they start realizing how AFU it really is, usually shows thru tire wear, suspension component failures, etc. all of which tend to become acelerated and/or unusualy more frequent. It did it's job as it was designed to do, and the insurance company "glad not to have to fork over money to you" probably told you that you would get nothing because the vehicle "looks OK",none the less there is still hidin damage. I would have it in and have it looked at by a shop that specializes in computer lazer frame straightening, you might just be very surprised at what they find. Or of course you could be like the low lifes in this world and turn around and sell it and claim it has never been in an "reportable" accident, but your not a low life, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode