Off Roading Forums banner

New To Jeep!!!!

2K views 3 replies 1 participant last post by  krabysniper 
G
#1 ·
Hey guys,

Just bought my first Jeep ever. A Liberty "Columbia Edition". Never thought I would by an SUV like this one, but one test drive was all it took to suprise the hell out of me. Ive been a long time Dodge (2 Rams, 1 Van), and Chrysler (300M Baby) fan for awhile, but have never look at a Jeep more then twice. I was in the market to get yet another ram, but swung into the locoal Chrysler, Jeep dealer (no dodge) to check on the M's that they had, and to check out the new 300c, god thats a nice car. But while there, I came accross the liberty. They were a little girly looking, and I thought, this has got to be a womans car. Just look at it. Well I couldnt resist, I asked the sales guy to get the keys, and off we went. HOLY $HIT. I was amazed by this vehicle. Id driven off road before with my pickups, but this was by far no comparison. Drove really nice, sat really nice, and for a factory stock vehicle, it drove great off road. (Yes thats correct, sales guy let me take it off road). Only regret I'm having is that I didnt get the 4wd model. They just didnt have it, nor could they get a Columbia Edition in 4wd. They dont make um anymore. But after comparing the differences with the other models they had (all 40 of them), the columbia looked the best. Got the big (well sorta big) Wrangler tires, on the gun metal rims. The vehicle it self is silver, but the bumpers are gun metal to match the rims. The seats are so cool, different from the two tone that you get in the renagade. Plus tons extra including the towe package. But still, I regret the 2wd. I live in flordia and will probably never need it, but was wondering if it is possible, cost effective, and worth adding the 4wd to the vehicle. Please let me know.

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Nope, not cost effective adding FWD to a new '04. You are better off, selling it and buying an used '03 with 4WD. They depreciate quickly and you should be able to find an '03 with low mileage and in good shape at a decent enough price to be able to take a loss on selling your '04.

I live in Northern California and I have a 4WD version. I don't have full-time 4WD so I have the flexibility of switching to 2WD to save fuel and wear-and-tear.

I always drive it in 2WD even in the heaviest rainstorms. The only time I have used 4WD is when I have gone skiing...and even then, I only used 4WD once during a snowstorm. Though, in my case, since I don't have a Transfer case differential, the KJ handles so much better in 2WD while on snow that I don't even bother going into 4WD. I previously had a GC with full-time 4WD, and that handled beautifully in 4WD under any condition.

Believe me, except for the psychological factor, you may not even need 4WD unless you do med/heavy off-roading. If off-roading is your plan, skip the KJ and get the Rubicon instead. Also, FYI, in all the years, I have been skiing, I have only seen a few wipe-outs involving 2WD vehicles. All the other times, it is the Clowns driving 4WD who are on the side of the road. 4WD is way over-rated and doesn't compensate for driving skill and speed control.

Better yet, stick to your 2WD and just enjoy the vehicle!

#4 ·
Having had my 90 cherokee which is a command trac, allows me to select 2, 4 high part time, and 4 low part time, and living in ND where we know all to well about ice and snow, I must say that I think you are off just a bit on your comment about seeing 4 wheel drives on the side of the road. I do not argue that 4 wheel drive does not make up for driving expierence or watching your speed, but in my expierences up here the only 4 wheel drives I have ever seen rolled or wrecked due to weather were because they DIDN'T have it in four wheel drive, with the exception of the vehicles that come with full time four wheel drive or all wheel drive. I say this becaus eI have had several "CLOSE" calls when in 2 wheel drive that would not have occured in 4 wheel drive. All involved either ice or packed snow and usually involved driving in windy conditions, for instance there was once that I was driving along bucking a cross head wind when I hit a patch of snow pack along a shelter belt of trees and when I came back into the wind which put a load against my jeep, it spun a rear tire and ended up sideways 3 times before finaly getting it back under control. If I had had my Grand Cherokee with it's all time four wheel drive, I truly believe that it would not have happened, because instead of spinning just a rear tire I would have had at least 2 tires trying to pull me along against the wind, one on the front and one on the rear, which would have prevented the loss of control. But I do agree that there are a lot of idiots out there that think that because they own a four wheel drive they are invinsible, but thats ok, because I am also a believer in Karma, and I believe that those idiots usually get what they deserve, in the end, for their ignorance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.