Install ABS Tone Ring on AG diff-Updated - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep Liberty KJ For discussion of the new, Jeep Liberty "KJ" SUV.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2003, 04:56 PM
nuordersg

Install ABS Tone Ring on AG diff-Updated

****Update at bottom of posting*****

I went ahead with the installation of the Auburn Gear differential to repace the Rear, Chrysler 8.25 10-bolt open. I have a mid-'03 KJ Sport.

The Auburn Gear Part No. is # 542074, 29 spline. The AG specs state that the part supports the Tone Ring.

I now have a big problem: The ABS TONE Ring has a loose fit on the Replacement diff. So I am hoping to hear from anyone who has experienced this problem and how it was resolved.

2. I called Auburn, but they don't work on Fridays and the secretary who answered the phone said that they currently have a labor dispute, so she is not sure if anyone would be in next week. In the meantime, my KJ diff is still disassembled.

3. I called the service department where I bought the KJ and they are less than helpful....no one there has worked on a diff. previously! Some service dept...what a Joke!!

4. I called Chrylser and they refused to help due to "Liability" issues.

5. Also, does anyone know if the KJ,ABS Tone Ring is Magnetic or Optical? If Optical, I am thinking of modifying it to make it fit more snug....if Magnetic, I won't mess with it and will wait for a "real" solution.

So, if anyone of you has experienced this problem with the ABS Tone Ring and the AG diff, I would very much appreciate your help.

Thanks!!!!! [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

Update:

The ABS Tone Ring is Magnetic.

Over the WE, I needed my KJ, so the ABS Tone Ring was tack-welded onto the new Auburn LS and everything seemed to work fine. Though I didn't feel too comfortable with this, so I followed up with another call to Auburn Gear today. They informed me that yes, in fact some of their Differentials were under Spec! I was disappointed to hear this as knowing this, they still shipped them out for sale to unsuspecting customers like myself!!! In any case, I arranged for AG to send me a replacement under warranty. Though, I wil have to buy a new ABS tone ring (about $30) and bearings.

AG is reputed to make good products. I am very disappointed to discover that they knowingly ship inferior products to paying customers. I know that some users don't have ABS, and so the ABS Tone Ring issue would not be a problem. Yet AG makes blanket statements regarding compatibility, and so they should not mislead customers especially with a critical safety component.

This is the email response I got from Auburn Gear:

"I know that we have had similar problems on the 542070's. Due to some variations in the diameter of "C" washers, it may be necessary to grind or sand the OD slightly to allow it to fit into the side gear counterbore.
Remove burrs after modification."

In any case, I ended up getting the replacement differential and everything fit fine. I haven't taken it up to the snow yet, but I can certainly tell the difference by driving in wet conditions: during a turn while accelerating from a full stop (on wet pavement) instead of one wheel "peeling-out" I suddenly found myself at ninety degrees...which was good. Though, I am glad that I got to experience it at moderately low speeds instead of on a slick freeway. So take note that the Auburn Gear is an aggressive differential with excellent biasing. The Auburn Gear diff. is definitely NOT for a Soccer Mom KJ or your grocery-getter version.

Overall, now that I finally got the unit installed, I am very happy with it. [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

///////////////////////////////////////////
My General Comments and Ravings: I don't agree with the approach as the ABS tone ring is Magnetic and griding it down can change the magnetic properties of the ring making the ABS light remain on or deactivting the ABS system entirely.

Hint: to remove the Tone Ring from the original differential, pour on/soak in boiling water this will allow it to loosen for easier removal. Do Not use a TORCH!!!

You Will also need a replacement set of matching bearings (bearing and cup) so be sure to order these before you start.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode