Need Help on Front Diff .Open or Limited Slip? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep Liberty KJ For discussion of the new, Jeep Liberty "KJ" SUV.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 08:26 PM
nuordersg

Need Help on Front Diff .Open or Limited Slip?

Sorry if this topic is sounding old, but I still haven't goten satisfactory responses from readers. So, your help would be greatly appreciated.

I am planning on installing an Auburn Gear limited slip on the Chrysler 8.25 rear. At this time, I am still undecided as to whether or not to install a limited slip on the front (such a Detroit, True-Trac). So, I need some final comments to help me decide

I have read the postings, read plenty of literature, and talked to some local 4X4 shops. However, what I haven't gotten is comments from someone who actually uses their vehicle for snow use. So, I would like some comments from people who ACTUALLY do a lot of snow driving and have experience with Limited Slip or Lockers on snow and icy roads. Off-road use in dry conditions is secondary.

The guys at the 4X4 shop said I shouldn't install a limited slip on the front as the understeer and steering "feel" would make it unpleasant for daily use. I've also read that front diffs with lockers and limited-slips have a mind of their own on snow and ice.

Some people on this board, suggest a Detroit TT but don't comment on snow/ice usage. The KJ factory option is an LS on the rear and open on the front....is there some logic for this or just cost-savings?

I use my vehicle mostly for daily driving and weekly trips to the the slopes (every week for about 4 months). This means mostly driving on snow covered roads (paved and unpaved) and facing various winter weather and road conditions (slush,ice, snow,etc)

I also use the vehicle for medium-duty off-road use in the summer and fall (no rubicon trail, no rock-crawling, etc.).

Prior to having a KJ, I had a 96 Grand Cherokee w/Quadratrac + full-time 4WD w/lo-range.I was quite satisfied with the GC's winter performance on snow and ice. Unfortunately, I sold it when I moved out of the country temporarily. Does anyone know what the GC had in the front and how I can achieve something comparable on the KJ?

Thanks so much in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2003, 12:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Need Help on Front Diff .Open or Limited Slip?

questions

GC- has awd with a 2 drive T/C. it is open front and rear in most applications, good bet yours is to.

factory specs- using a limited slip in the rear is favorable and a open diff front for weather. On snow or slick roads having the front tires able to spin their own speeds helps in traction and stability.

experience- it snowed here I played with my xj, has a spool front and a lockright rear, very tricky to even go straight sometimes with the spool activated one tire got more traction and pull the whole xj that way.

own a 5.2 GC with quadratrac, and also own a 89 modified xj.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2003, 11:58 AM
nuordersg

Re: Need Help on Front Diff .Open or Limited Slip?

Great, thanks for your helpful comments!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode