Score= IFS 1 Solid Axle 0 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep Liberty KJ For discussion of the new, Jeep Liberty "KJ" SUV.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 05:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Score= IFS 1 Solid Axle 0

I have friend that is the owner/operator of a autobody shop. He got this gem in yesterday. The owner of this white KJ Limited fell asleep at the wheel-or so she says, not too far from my home. The KJ left the road and then the rear axle, coils and drive shaft left the KJ. The coils and shaft have yet to be found. The IFS escaped the ordeal with lil to no damage. The driver escaped unscathed.
According to one VERY inexperienced insurance adjuster the vehicle is NOT totaled... He believes 8K will fix the destruction.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1222814-IFSwins.jpg (19.2 KB, 197 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 05:55 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Score= IFS 1 Solid Axle 0

more detail of the carnage
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1222815-lostmyass2.jpg (10.8 KB, 177 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 05:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

and now the driver's side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1222816-driverside.jpg (15.7 KB, 148 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 05:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

closeup of the missing rear diff yoke
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1222818-whatyoke.jpg (29.9 KB, 143 views)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 01:32 PM
jcarcrew

I have to defend my profession. The adjuster is not wrong in fixing this jeep. The repair has to exceed 70% of the value of the car to total it. 8 grand isn't even close in this case. I have fixed hundreds of cars with repairs totalling over 10000 dollars. From the looks of those pictures, that is an easy, straightfoward repair. If your body shop is hesitant to fix something like that, check their credentials, and or their equipment. This is not a repair to trust to all shops. A good bodyman should go to classes at least annually. Any I-Car gold shop could repair that. If you go to a shop and they don't have I-Car certified employees, look for another shop. The days of the body shop behind the house with the self taught bodyman are over.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2003, 06:25 PM

I agree. Thats actually one of the easier fixes you will see these days. No airbags that ruined the whole dash. No miles of ruined computer wiring and lines galore to fix. Just straight metal repair.
Have them send it to me. I could use another "total" to drive. [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2003, 05:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Go to the mid sized board and follow the thread with the same title.... BTW, we are still waiting for the estimater to review the supp....
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 05:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The KJ totalled. While it was $1K off of the "magic number" the insurer cited concerns about "comebacks". On a more positive note, KJ fans should know that you can, using a floor jack, lift the entire rear of the KJ off of the ground using the spare tire as mounted on the rear gate. We did it several times in the shop with no damage to the gate or the spare tire mount. We even drug the KJ around the shop floor on a floor jack in this fashion.
We did find one thing about the rear gate- it no worky (won't open) if the battery is dead........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode