Extended Warranty - '03 Liberty - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep Liberty KJ For discussion of the new, Jeep Liberty "KJ" SUV.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 07:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Extended Warranty - \'03 Liberty

Hi Folks,

I'm new to the boards, so bear with me. I am a high mieage driver, will hit 30,00 miles my first year with my '03 Liberty. Granted, they are mostly highway miles, but I am curious to know if anyone has purchased the extended warranty and which option they selected. Any typical problems with these vehicles and at what mileage mark did it occur? I am very happy with the vehical thus far.

Thanks for your help!
Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 02:02 PM
skrracing

Re: Extended Warranty - \'03 Liberty

Hey Karen, I am a high mileage driver as well. My little red KJ is 18 months old and I have over 52000 miles on it. I have not had any probles yet except for the upper and lower ball joints. I do however off road my kj very hard. I do not mean that I drive fast down dirt roads but I really take my KJ where mostly the hard core guys would go. We have a KJ club in the LA CA area if you want to see more pictures. You can find our club at Lost KJ WEST website
The ball joints have been my only problem to date. The dealers are taking care of all the guys that have had this problem so far. I understand that a heat shield has been added to the spindle of the 2004 and it should cure the heat problem that is baking all the grease out of the lower ball joint. I am trying to get that part number to see if the older KJ can add them. i will post a message as soon as I have that info. Hope this helps. Later, Clint
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 06:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Clint. I don't even know what the "KJ" stands for. Perhaps you can clear that up for me as soon as you wipe away the tears of laughter!

Althgouth I am currently located in the great state of IL, I am considering reloacating to Arizona in the not too distant future. Any special precautions to consider with my Liberty considering the extreme heat and more mountainous terrain? What are the bear necessaties I'd have to add to the Jeep for begginer's off-roading around AZ?

Glad to hear the Liberty is holding up so well for you also. Thank you for your time and advice.

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2003, 08:26 PM
skrracing

No problem Karen...I am not laughing at all. Our club loves to get folks started out in the right direction in the off road world. The KJ is like a model numer or name that jeep has used for years. have you ever heard of the CJ, YJ,TJ,WJ,XJ....they are the short names for the Wrangler, Grand Cherokee, Cherokee and so on. Know what I mean. The Liberty is called the KJ. We have a large group called the LOST KJ...Liberty Owners Special Team. Some os us have some of the most modified KJ out ther today and also doing some of the toughest trails around. Our Lost KJ West club has 3 members in the AZ area and they drive out to make runs with us. Please stay in touch and let us know if you want to do a run with our club. Int eh past year we have made 23 trail rides. We do all kinds of trail rides...from very easy to hard core...We take it easy on the easy runs and have what we call first timers runs to help out all the new guys. Pur club also has lift parties...wheere we help guys do mods to their jeeps. if you want to see where out club started just go to the following link and read all about it. Please be sure to let us know when you head out to AZ. Welcome to the KJ world Karen. You know what it means now. Later...Clint

LOST site
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2003, 09:01 AM
Official Historian

I have a saturn that I just bought an extended warranty on. The dealer one runs out at 60k miles but I bought one through continental that takes it to 101k miles. http://www.continentalwarranty.com/
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2003, 11:06 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Take this with a grain of salt, but my personal opinion is that if you are a frugal person, you will be a million times farther ahead if you take the money you would spend on the extended warranty and put it in a savings account and add $50 to $100 dollars a month towards any repair you may encounter needing in the future. I say this because it has been my experience with extended warranties that when you need to get something fixed the very fact that you are using a warranty company SLOWS the repair process and they charge you a "DEDUCTIBLE",usually a certain percentage up to about a hundred bucks depending on the company and type of "warranty" ie. in reality insurance against repairs. It takes longer because the warranty companies always want to send an "adjuster" to verify the need for repairs and the validity of the need, ie. did the vehicle fail because of a manufacturers flaw or did the owner go out and rail it off road. The first will get fixed, the second one won't because the warranties will not cover "off-road" use. Read the fine print if you are going to go with a warranty, otherwise you may as well flush your money down the toilet, you'll end up with the same in the end.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode