Liberty Renengade - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep Liberty KJ For discussion of the new, Jeep Liberty "KJ" SUV.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2003, 04:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Liberty Renengade

I own a 2003 Liberty Renengade. I LOVE the jeep, but the only problem that I have found is the Renegade Roof Basket Carrier that comes on the Renengade is junk. It was a good effort, but all it does in hold in stuff and kill my paint job on my roof. Does anyone know of something like what Nissian has on their Xterra that acutally holds the gear above the roof so it doesn't ever touch my paint. I am looking for something that might be an attachment to the Jeep Renegade Roof Basket Carrier.

Thanks,

Ryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1122115-basket.jpg (22.0 KB, 137 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 07:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Liberty Renengade

Is their a floor to the basket? On some safari racks I have heard of people laying a thin piece of wood to keep things from hiting the paint.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2003, 11:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

No, their is not a floor to the basket. Wood might work. Maybe even some type of hard plastic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2003, 07:21 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

u'd just need the floor for hauling stuff up there, I zip tie a piece of wood to the frames as a temporary floor for when u have things up there.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-24-2003, 07:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hi. I also own an '03 Renegade and have also just discovered problems with my roof carrier. We noticed it was vibrating from 40mph and above. It has made a rivet into the paint all the way down to the primer. I called the service manager at our dealer and took it in today. Apparently, there is supposed to be a piece of foam cushion that was not put on ours...therefore, the source of the problem. This is the first he has seen but he said he'll be expecting more to come. This is under warranty so call your dealer and get it checked out! My dealership placed a piece of foam to keep it from doing more damage, ordered a replacement part for the roof carrier, ordered foam and will repaint the damaged parts.
The way I look at it is that this is a major investment I have made and she is my baby. The service manager is the key to getting things done. He doesn't think this is just a fluke. This is the first year for this roof carrier so there may be more problems.
Take care and good luck.
Nancy
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2003, 11:02 AM
mlhrenegade

Don't know if you are still dealing with this issue but I solved the whole deal on mine. It rubbed the paint up front. It creaked and popped while driving in the cold. I took the thing off and hung it on my garage wall. I drilled and permanently bolted its crossbars to the end attachments since it was only the tie down hook and the plastic basket that held it all together. I bought a yakima roof basket and mounted it on the crossbars. What is nice about it is the crossbars that come stock with the renegade basket sit lower than the aftermarket crossbars that are clear over top of the side rails. The basket sits lower and looks really good. There are some other really cool safari baskets out there that would look just as good or better but this yakima was a hook-up from a buddy. Anyway, if anyone needs a stock basket minus the hardware, it is still hanging on the wall taking up space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode