Opinions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep Liberty KJ For discussion of the new, Jeep Liberty "KJ" SUV.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2003, 01:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Opinions

I am interested in buyin a Liberty Renengade, and I just want everybody to give their personal opinions, so that i will have somwhat idea of what to do, I would apprecaite this greatly, if you would list maybe pluses and downs to the liberty, and please only owners of liberty and liberty renengades respond, I dont want any opinions from people who who do not even own one, thank you

[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]

[img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img] somebody respond
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2003, 07:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Opinions

I dont own one but I test drove one, and test drove a stock liberty, the renegade felt more sportier atlittle stiffer, and it has a touch of masculinity that offsets it cute curves. downside I had was and it may be my imagination but the step in hieght/overall hieght seemed lower on the rengeade. If I was to get a libby Id get a rengade. also check ur local laws their are some states where those top mount headlights are illegal.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2003, 09:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well not knowing exactly what you want an opinion on I'll do my best. I own a 02 sport and to be honest I don't like the light bar treatment on the renegade.Something about the height to length ratio bothers my delicate sensibilities.I do like the bolt on flares appearance though.If they didn't cost a couple hundred bucks apiece from the dealer I'd consider swapping them onto my sport.post april 02 KJ's are 1" lower than previous models but that's not a big deal.Just lift it an extra inch to compensate.I have about 35k hard miles on mine and the only warranty problem so far was replacement of the front struts early on.I take mine off road at least once a month in the sierra rocks and so far everythings holding up just fine.

Any specific questions???
Peace

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2003, 10:56 AM
skrracing

I have to go along with Libertarian....What is the reason you want the KJ for first....Do you plan on taking it off road, camping trips, easy trail rides, or just looking good. The Renny is a cool looking KJ but keep in mind it is still just a Liberty under a lot of factory stuff. If you do not want to do a lot of mods but are looking for a great looking KJ...the renny might be a great way to go. If however you are planning on maybe adding a lift, different tires, and doing some other mods then maybe save the extra money you would pay for a Renegade and put that money towards your mods. They are both great jeeps to have. I have had my KJ for 13 months now and it has over 41000 miles on it. I drive it a lot and it has seena LOT of hard off road action. I replaced my lower ball joints but that is the only problem I have had. I do have a lot larger tire on the KJ than stock and they are 10 ply so the weight is a lot more than a stock tire. Is that part of the ball joint problem??? But like I said that is the only problem I have had. If the Renegade is your style...then by all means go for it....If you want a great Jeep and the KJ is a lower price then jump on that. Hope this info helps and please ask if you have any other questions....Later, Clint
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2003, 01:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes i plan to take it off road a pretty good amount, maybe just in light trails, and i plan to add a lift and bigger tires, and more modifications, Since i am new to this KJ thing, What all would i need to add to the KJ to have a good offroad SUV, and also so hearing this, what would be my best bet, renegade or regular sport

thank you

[img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2003, 01:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Daystar 2.5" lift, Rancho shocks, and at least 245x75x16 all terrains help 200%....these things will keep you from scraping your engine skid after youve done these things then it is time for boulder bars, full skid plates and then maybe a locker.....oh yeah, almost forgot, first you have to put on a LOST KJ sticker
Go to
http://www.boulderbars.com/kjproducts.htm
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2003, 02:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Excuse my ignorance on this subject, But what is a locker ? [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2003, 02:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

With an open differential (not locked or limited slip) one wheel is the drive wheel and the other is basically along for the ride.a "locker" is a traction aid.Basically locks both wheels together on each side of the axle so they're both driven with no differential action
Peace
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2003, 02:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks, alright so knowing now what all i need to get as in modifications, What would be better, as in which KJ sport or renengade

post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2003, 03:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I like the sport. I dont really care for the looks of the Renegade. As far as options on the renegade I am not sure, but most of the modifications that you will need for off roading, you will be doing yourself. I think a good option to get on your KJ would be a towing package, it comes with a heavier duty radiator and direct connected fan, and I think a trans cooler (i may be wrong), and getting track lock and skids would be a plus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode