Differnce in off-road capabilities between models? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep Liberty KJ For discussion of the new, Jeep Liberty "KJ" SUV.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 08:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Differnce in off-road capabilities between models?

From a purely off-road perspective, what is the difference between the Liberty with the Command-Trac part-time 4WD system versus the Selec-Trac full-time 4WD? I suspect that part-time must be better off-road than the full-time, otherwise why wouldn't everyone just get the full-time?

So what makes the Command-Trac better (if that is the case)? How much better is it (what can you do with Command-Trac that you can't do with Selec-Trac)? Are part-time 4WD systems inherently better than full-time for some reason (again, only speaking from the off-road perspective)?

I ask because I find the Select-Trac to be more advantageous when on the pavement, but I want to know what I would be giving up from the off-road perspective.

Thanks for your help,

-David C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 12:43 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Differnce in off-road capabilities between models?

Part time is for LOOSE or SLIPERY conditions only, front and rear diffs are locked together and damage will occur if you drive it on hard surfaces like pavement. Full time is for all conditions because the front and rear diffs are connected via a viscous or open differential that will allow one to turn faster or slower than the other thus allowing use on hard surfaces, nice for winter conditions where you go from hard to slippery a lot. Part time is better off road. Part time with lockers front and rear is better yet.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 02:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the reply, but I actually already knew most of that (except for the last comment about Part time with lockers front and rear).

My real question is more technical, and is probably related to the last comment that I didn't really understand. My real question is "for off-road" what makes part-time better than full-time. Is is that Command Trac can for some reason grip better than Selec-Trac, and if so, why? Or do the two systems provide different clearances? I don't want to know just that part-time is better, but what makes it better. What can it do that full-time can not do on the KJ? Thank you

-David C.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 02:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If the t/c have the same ratio and same 4hi and 4lo, i see no difference between one being in a awd or being in 2wd offroad, now on road and gas mileage is a different story.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 08:24 PM
Keyboard Implanted

And I actually did answer your question. Select trac in part time is identical to command trac part time. The difference is that select trac gives you the full time option, command trac doesn't. As far as the diference between part time and full time off road is just as I said. Part time the front and rear are locked together by the transfer case. In full time, the front and rear are connected by a open differential in the transfer case. I can't state it any simpler than that.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 05:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have a ? does the KJ come with the command trac and select trac out of the XJ's and does it have the al time 4 wheel drive like some grand cherokees, if I 'm totally wrong it is ok not the first time but I thought the GC had a all time 4wd and also a select trac?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 03:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Differnce in off-road capabilities between mod

OK krabysniper, but hopefully you can state it simpler, as I'm a total newbie when it comes to off-road. (I knew what you stated about not using part-time 4WD on dry pavement because someone explained it to me a few years during a casual conversation). I also forgot Select-Trac has part-time as well, so forgive me on that one).

So now, for someone that doesn't know much at all about tranfer cases (I know this of off-road 101, but I have to start somewhere)..... For off-road use, why is it better to have the front and rear locked together by the transfer case, instead of having the open differential that you have with full-time?

Thanks.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2003, 08:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Differnce in off-road capabilities between mod

So that no matter what happens you always have power getting to a wheel with some grip. When they are locked in, as in part time with lockers front and rear, all four wheels are turning the same no matter what, you also get better braking because all four wheels are braking equally. I have seen vehicles in situations where you have a right front wheel and left rear wheel (or vice versa) and one of the other wheels on a slippey surface like loose gravel, wet grass, snow or even ice, you can see where it would be nice to know that the one wheel that is getting traction is also getting power. An open diff. in this mix would mean spinning tires that do nothing and you'd be looking for a tow or hoping you have a winch or something. Understand now? [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode