2003 KJ Drifts to the right - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep Liberty KJ For discussion of the new, Jeep Liberty "KJ" SUV.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2002, 10:42 AM
Mestopin

2003 KJ Drifts to the right

'03 KJ 4x4 Lim. Ed. 3,500 miles. I read in an earlier post about the KJ drifting to the right. Mine does this although it is only a slight pull. I mentioned this to my dealer and he inidicated that it was engineered so if you fell a sleep at the wheel it would naturally drift you off the road as opposed to incoming traffic. I was somewhat skeptical of his response and am wondering if I should bring it in and have them re-allign the front end.

2003 KJ 3,500 mile
1991 XJ 108k miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2002, 06:29 PM
Addict

Re: 2003 KJ Drifts to the right

how bad is it? i've never heard the falling asleep at the wheel reason, but I do know that all vehicles with power steering will pull slightly to the right.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 07:55 AM
Carpal \'Tunnel

imma have to disagree with ya jckid , ive drivin vehicles with power steering that will drive directly straight down the road untill the road gets uneven or theres a turn in the road. imo the dealer guy is bull****ting you, for it to pull you off the road it would need to be a pretty good pull and would only work on straight roads(which you usualy fall asleep on but still) and it would ruin your tires very quick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-30-2002, 11:44 AM
Mestopin

Thanks for the feedback. I'd have to say I'm into the curve in a block and a half. I have to keep somewhat of a constant pressure on the steering wheel to keep if from drifting to the right.

The dealer was the sales manager not a service rep. I guess he'd say anything to get me out the door.

Sounds like I need to take it in and have them re-allign the front end.

Thanks again.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2002, 06:52 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

yes def have it alligned

people at dealerships usualy know nothing about the cars, i remember reading a while back on here somwhere that a sales guy at ajeep dealership that was next in line to be the manager thought on the new wrangler rubicon the diff locks for offraoding were just basicly emergency brakes to keep the axles from spinning, im not a sales manager for jeep and ive known what lockers are probably since i was 14

its beyond pathetic, im not the best worker but i atleast try to know what im doing
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 09:26 PM
Keyboard Implanted

One little thought for you, when they align vehicles in most shops they do it with no weight in the drivers seat. If you are a bigger guy like me (245lbs) this can make a dramatic diference in alignment. I have a friend at the shop I get mine aligned at and we do the alignment with me in the drivers seat so I never have that kinda problem.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 08:45 PM
Mestopin

Brought the KJ in to have the front end re-alligned on Tuesday. Servive tech brought it to within spec. I watched him do it so I know for a fact he made some adjustments. Got it back on the highway and sure enough there it was drigting to the right. Called them immediately, was asked to bring it back, tech rode with me to see exactly what I was talking about. He tried to convince me that that was how it was supposed to ride. I left but wasn't convinced.

Got a call later in the day from the service manager who told me that 99% sure it was a tire out of round. What? Well anyway will bring it back on Tuesday next week where they will start doing tire swapping to get it to drive straight. Anyone else have this problem?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 02:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hope you get it strait don't settle for less it is a new vehicle afterall.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 07:59 PM
Mestopin

Yes, I intend to. I was going to take it to another dealer and let them have a go at it until I got the call to bring it back. We'll see what they come up with on Tuesday.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2003, 12:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

No kidding! If i paid that much for a rig, Id make them fix it every week till they get it right. Or make them take it back under the lemon law. 5 times in the dealer for the same problem you can make them buy the rig back from you.

KINGSIZE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode