axle slop on '03 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep Liberty KJ For discussion of the new, Jeep Liberty "KJ" SUV.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 11:42 AM
mlhrenegade

axle slop on \'03

2003 renegade. How much slop should be in the axles on a stock jeep. I can move the wheels in and out about 1/8" on both sides. This is causing the brakes to not center and rub the rotors to the point of being annoying. I say they should be pretty tight but never ran into this before. Some quick help is appreciated. The dealer already replaced the rotors and told me the stocks were warped. Wrong again. Now they want to dig into the differential looking for the noise. If this is where they tighten up the axle I'm ok with it. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2003, 09:52 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: axle slop on \'03

Should still be under warranty, right? So what are you worried about? Or did you actually take it off the pavement and now they won't honor the warranty [img]images/graemlins/puke.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 09:08 AM
mlhrenegade

Yes it is under warranty. The thing is their original diagnosis was wrong (warped rotors) and they wanted to tear into the differential. I was absolutely certain that the noise I was hearing was from the calipers and also wondered why the axles moved laterally (more than I thought they should). I spoke with the guy at the shop and convinced him to look in the caliper area again before opening the differential. As it ends up, the flange on the end of the axle was out of spec and was causing the caliper to slide back and forth. This sliding on the pins was the noise that was driving me crazy. It makes me sick to go to dealers for work. I get the feeling they just guess until they find the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 03:23 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

that feeling is right, the majority of people at stealerships are they to get thier weekly paycheck and go home. they dont take pride in thier work
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2003, 08:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

not real familiar with KJ, but i assume it's a unit bearing rear axle and not an on shaft bearing / c-clip axle. unit bearing (non c-clip) axles should have zero endplay. If u have 1/8", u have failed the wheel bearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode