Liberty folks - need help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep Liberty KJ For discussion of the new, Jeep Liberty "KJ" SUV.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 02:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Liberty folks - need help

The wife has been wanting a new ride for some time, and has narrowed down her selections to the KJ, a newer XJ, or a "new" Beetle (No!). So what I need from y'all is just a general review of the KJ, weaknesses, etc. Not the typical Consumer Reports type "the cup holders were small and inadequately placed" review, but just what would be the peaks and pitfalls to know about. The IFS won't be much concern, since it'll probably never see anything worse than the occasional wash, or the dreaded Tucson potholes.

I went to try and investigate one today, but was ran off the lot by an extremely annoying dealer (My mantra: irritate me and you don't make a sale) that told me that he saw me drive up, and that they probably wouldn't take my "dangerous" CJ as a trade (like they would get it anyway). So, I turn to those of you who actually own one

TIA, and just how big are the cupholders? [img]images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2002, 01:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Liberty folks - need help

I know what you mean about the vulture type sales people.usually breaks the deal for me too.
The KJ is a good general purpose vehicle. I think it rides better than my buddys 2000XJ and feels more substantial. Probably due to it's heavier weight.The V-6 has plenty of power although a little higher in the power band than say the inline 6.fit and finish is way above what I see in the XJ and it's got plenty of head room for my 6'2" frame.very comfortable and quiet. Test drive one as thats the only way you can sell it to your wife. FYI the 2003 models are an inch +- lower than 2002's to help in "rollover" [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] situations if that means anything to you.They have extended warranty offers right now too I think 7 years 70k or something like that. Started offering them the day after I bought mine it seems.
Good luck
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 01:10 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Their warranty is only good if you do not ever take it off pavement, i.e. no gravel or dirt roads. The XJ is superior in looks, ride, power, cargo room, and future "liftability". Of course these are just my opinions and others may take offense to them but I say tough noogy to'em.
I do agree with both of you that salesman who swoop on you and won't leave you alone, until you want help, are as annoying as telemarketers [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2002, 10:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

well as you know opinions are like *******s. everyones got one (well most of us anyways).The warranty statement applies to all jeeps not just KJ's and it depends on the dealer. I have a dealer close by who is off road friendly and when I took it in for warranty strut replacement with my lift and banged up skids the work was done no questions asked.On the other hand I hear stories all the time about weasel like dealers denying claims when there's mud in the skid plate as evidence of abuse despite the fact that the jeep came equipped with skid plates from the dealer [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
These dealers who deny claims need to get caught up in a class action suit if ya ask me.Or a crossfire [img]images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2002, 12:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks all - I went to the other local Jeep dealer to look at one, and was (gasp!) treated perfect (Let me know when you see what you like, and we'll put a plate on it so you can take it out for a while). Picked a 2003 Sport and took it through a couple of washes and whatnot - I was really impressed. Took it to the wife to inspect, and now it's just a matter of figuring out what color to get [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

All in all, I can say that they did a pretty good job designing this thing - but deserve 2 arsekickings, one for the new 4 banger (looks like a maintenance nightmare - Keep a little heritage alive and use the 2.5), and the lack (OK, applies to all of them) of concern for those of us who despise airbags.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2002, 07:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just pick my 2003 Liberty Sport up today (12-7-02) for the wife and Wrangler SE for me! It will be our first jeeps. We like the look of both car and the ride. It would be nice if the Liberty seat moved up and down too. We are both tall (6 foot) but if you lay the seat back so it - OK! This is the only thing that I see that could make this Jeep better at this time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode