Goodyear Eagle RS-A Tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep Liberty KJ For discussion of the new, Jeep Liberty "KJ" SUV.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 03:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Goodyear Eagle RS-A Tires

I just bought a new Liberty with Goodyear Eagle RS-A tires. As soon as the salesman and I left the lot for a test drive I noticed a jitter in the ride at around 20 - 30 mph. The salesman didn't say anything. I figured since I actually had never ridden in any kind of Jeep before that it may just be part of the deal. It may well be. I have been doing some research and have found Goodyear's own site telling car dealers to maintain 44 PSI on vehicles which will be sitting a while due to flatspotting. Has anyone else noticed this or do you have any suggestions. I don't get any vibration at high speed ie 80 mph. I now have over 600 miles on it and I still notice the jitter some times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 05:43 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Goodyear Eagle RS-A Tires

Is the jitter from one corner? If so rotate the tires or have them do it for you. If the shake moves to another corner, demand they repair the damaged tire.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 07:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't have a sense of any particular direction or corner that the jitter is coming from. I am sitting in the seat and am moving up and down. I would guess maybe a half inch in distance. Maybe 5 cycles a second. On smooth road. Between 20 and 30 MPH. It seemed to decrease after a fillup. I read something in the literature about "jounce" What does this mean? This flatspotting.. is it permanant or does it go away with use? Changing the subject.. could this be coming from the trans or front differential? There doesn't seem to be a difference in the position of the 4x4 shifter (2wd, 4wd pt or 4wd ft) . I plan to mount a video camera under the vehicle and see if I can capture something on tape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 06:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I posted a question regarding handling when my KJ was new. I felt the steering was a little twitchy. I also had the same symptoms you have. All of the issues are gone with 5K on the clock. I think the tires need a break-in period.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2002, 09:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for your response. I wonder if during that period you had your rear drums turned. I had a 70 ford mustang that had been sitting for about a year. When I started driving it again the car shook at a certain speed. Probably around 30 MPH. Anyway the rear brake drums had rusted and were dragging just enough to make it shake. I'm starting to believe this may be the current problem with my Liberty. It seemed real bad the other day when it was raining. I'll be sure to post the final solution.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2002, 09:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

After remembering my experience with the Mustang, I decided to do some investigation. I jacked up each rear wheel to see what I would find. As I thought, there is a slight problem with both rear brakes. I had the trans in neutral with the parking brake off. As I rotate the wheels there is an intermittant drag during about half the 360 degrees. In other words, the brake shoe is touching the inside of the brake drum only about half the time on each wheel. Normally the shoes should drag slightly in a consistant manner. I did not remove the drums but I would guess that there is some rust from sitting on the lot that will probably wear off eventually. I'm at 750 miles. If not I will address it at the first service period. I also checked the front discs and they were tight and even during a complete rotation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode