KJ Test Drive (from SWB) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep Liberty KJ For discussion of the new, Jeep Liberty "KJ" SUV.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2002, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

KJ Test Drive (from SWB)

OK, I figure that it is never good to speak ill of something that you have never tried. So,
I tried.

Sat 29June02 ...

Stop by Jeep dealer to take a look at the KJ (drive in in my 78 CJ-5 to intimidate the
salesperson a bit and hopefully invoke some honesty). Bring my girlfriend and mention
the impending engagement to bring some creedence to why I would be looking at the
yupmobile.
Initial impression ... a bit too "cute" to be a Jeep, but the interior (though small) does
have a somehwat "rough" styling. The rear cargo area is absurdly small, and though the
back seats fold, you have to have the front seats forward to fit them down (stupid
headrests). Storage room under back seat (cool).
The salesman tells me a bout this new 3.7L engine, how it puts out 200 hp, but of
course doesnt know the torque rating or optimum rpm range. He also mentions the new
IFS and how the ride and handling are sooooo much better. Start the KJ up and it
sounds pretty good, almost like it has a pair.
Enjoying driving off road better than on I ask if there is a more rugged version. Maybe a
little higher suspension, some bigger tires with beadlocks, some diamond plate, a
standard winch, a 5 speed, somthing. Well, now we walk over to the this asparagus
colored thing with more plastic, a built in "light bar", and slightly bigger wheels, oh yeah,
some kind of nerf bar things too. He says its the "renegade" version and was built just
for people like me.
OK, now were getting somewhere (I act excited). I have to ask though, those nerf bar
things (painted the same horrible color as the KJ) look like they kill about 4 inches of
ground clearance. I am assured they they are not simply window dressing, they are
functional. They are made from steel and painted, they are mounted directly to the
frame and can easily support the weight (though its only 500 lbs less than the Grand
Cherokee) of the KJ and will protect the rockers from stumps and rocks when off road. I
again express my doubts, but am assured that this is one mean off road machine.
The salesman asks for my license, hands me the key and returns with a test drive slip.
He even asks me if an hour is long enough. Tells me to take it out, hit some back roads,
try the highway, doesn't even mind if i get it a little dirty. He, he, he (apparently doesnt
know what I consider a "little" dirty.
Well, my girlfriend doesn't want me to thrash it too bad so we drive around a bit on the
road (handles pretty well). Good turn radius, good power from the engine, not bad get
up for an auto. Of course I have to see a little of what this thing can do so we take it
to a local park in Charlottesville, VA. Drive it around on the gravel washboards and it is
as smooth as can be (wow, cant feel a thing, but the responsiveness is still good). I am
kind of impressed (though I kinda like to pick my teeth out of my lap after a good drive).

Now its time to see how it does over little bumps... hit some good potholes and am still
pleased, handling is good over little bumps.
Now for a little articulation test... have to start easy at the request of my girlfriend, so i
find a little railroad tie (maybe six inches thick) this is cake, hell my cruiser ('01 Crown
Vic) can clear that with out thinking. WRONG !!!!!! The "rocker guard" that can support
the weight of this machine hits the tie, the brackets holding it to the frame crunch and
it slides four inches backwards into the rear drivers tire. Of course my tools are in my CJ
so i go behind the back seat to get the jack tool and try to pry the thing forward so we
can still drive (no joy). So we call the dealer and he comes out and I think is more
embarassed than my girlfriend (if that was possible). He tries to pry it forward, I tell him
to bring me a 13mm wrench and a mallett and I'll fix it. So he leaves and sends the other
salesman back with the tools. I pull the stupid thing off and try to bang the brackets
back, but the clearance is so low that I cant get a good swing. So we throw the thing
in the back and drive back to the dealer.
As soon as we return he spends about ten minutes telling me how sorry he is and offers
me all kinds of sweet deals, then throws a brochure, and his card at me and shuffles us
out of the dealer before we can tell anyone else what happened.
My final assessment...
Not bad for a mini van, but it aint a Jeep.

web
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 01:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: KJ Test Drive (from SWB)

Mopar rock rails/steps for any jeep are pretty much worthless.Stupid eager salsemen never know WTF they're talking about.They just tell you what they think you want to hear.I have a full complement of skids,factory and Rusty's under my KJ along with ORGS nerfs and with those mods I get over most everything I need to. Clearance is an issue with the KJ and will continue to be until it's lifted. still I think you would've been able to write a more favorable review if those tin steps were removed.Kj will probably never compete in an ARCA event but I don't see many grands out there either.There are some good pic's here and on JU showing that a KJ is indeed a Jeep by the purest definition.Hope I've swayed your opinion slightly in favor of calling a Jeep a Jeep.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Rumor has it that DC is gonna lower the KJ even more. No recall scheduled, but they're gonna start dropping them 22mm in the front and 19mm in the rear according to 4wd and sport Utility mag (august 02).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 07:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

"Kj will probably never compete in an ARCA event but I don't see many grands out there either."

I wouldn't put any money on that. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 08:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well I did say "many grands" [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] or are you refering to your own plans for the swap [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2002, 08:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No rumour,truth.in response to the rollover during the blottoweek test. Even though the driver admitted pushing things too far,DC still responds by lowering the KJ even more than it already is [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] .Not sure if I really blame them in this litigous world . Not really a huge deal in the big picture , just need to make the lift kits a little taller.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 05:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The swap.I've been running trails that I'm under equipped for and having success.We'll see what happens with it when it's right.We're going to get some air underneath it and more tire and try a few trails when done.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 06:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I find it funny that everyone is quick to trash on the KJ; I don't know if anyone has noticed but the stock TJ damn near scrapes the ground when it rolls off the showroom floor. I have test drove the KJ and it is a nice rig, I would never replace my XJ with one but it would be a nice for my wife.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-04-2002, 01:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the reality is jeep is not jeep anymore in any vehicle th4ey make. You have to really modify everyone one of them to be great offroad vehicles. Am learnign that on my xj right now. People woo over the new tj rubicon, grow up, that is what you should be getting normally.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2002, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I wasn't bagging on the KJ, I was simply emphasizing the point that yes, it is a great vehicle for the wife, but then so was the XJ (which could easily be turned into a nice machine, and it actually had cargo room for more than a six pack). if anything I was bagging on DC for selling out.

-web
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode