Dont dog 'em - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep Liberty KJ For discussion of the new, Jeep Liberty "KJ" SUV.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 01:58 AM
Johnboy

Dont dog \'em

I wasnt a fan of the Liberty AT ALL until I was in Moab this last weekend. I saw a completely stock Liberty climb some stuff a stock XJ would not be able to touch. Stock tires, good driver. Nices moves. And for all of you out there wanting more parts for your liberty some one is making them. I saw a Liberty cruising down mainstreet with a 6" lift, 35's and a solid axle swap. It had some mean looking fender guards as well. Sorry, no idea who made it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2002, 04:40 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Dont dog \'em

The key to the mod's that you described on that trick KJ you saw is "Solid Axle Conversion". I don't think anyone hates the idea of a new Jeep, just the fact that the Liberty has replaced (in sales slot only) our beloved Cherokee at the Jeep dealer. If the KJ came from the factory with a solid axle, we may not have hated it so much right off the bat. But to replace the XJ which has proven itself over it's 16+ years of loyal service to socker moms as well as hard core 'wheelers is the reason the Liberty is generaly frowned upon. Time will have to tell if this goes down in history as a "revoloutionary" model, or just a big mistake.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 09:06 AM
Veteran

Solid axle conversion??HHHmmmm...my XJ came stock with that[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]Sorry,couldnt resist[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 09:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Give me a stock Liberty and a stock XJ and I'll prove you wrong. Let me disconnect front and rear sway bar on both and I'll really embarass the Liberty.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2002, 03:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

UMMM... actually disco'ing the sway bar on the front of a KJ won't do much as far as articulation goes because the struts limit droop and the rear sway bar isn't easily disco'ed because it's in a "U" shape on top of the axle and would have to be removed completely to have any benefit. That and the original post said the KJ went where the stock XJ's feared to tread which may or may not have had anything to do with driver skill and trail familiarity. If you do have a chance to wheel with a KJ go ahead and make a contest out of it but try to have fun and don't be too disappointed when you have to ask for the KJ's strap. [img]images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2002, 12:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

he was saying a stock xj given in a novices hands can out trail a kj, he was also saying that diconnecting the sway bars helps the xj articulate. But if you want to get technical the technology in the kj is far superior to the xj, yet on the trails kj have their a$$ handed to them. Just because you can does not mean you should. I have read your replies before liberterian, and you are going to find it hard to convince people that you can beat a solid axle on the trail.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 11:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just for the record I don't believe an IFS system is inherently better than a Solid Axle. I'm just trying to point out it's not a POS system as the majority of "real jeepers" seem to imply. It works in most situations just as well as a SFA. The drawbacks only become evident when extreme articulation is needed.As far as KJ's having their a$$ handed to them on the trails I don't think a stock xj and a stock KJ are too far apart in abilities to really call any percieved advantage an XJ had as an a$$ whoopin.JMHO
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 04:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

which vehicle is more forgiving? Without the articulation a liberty has a good chance of getting a NOVICE stuck, I believe a cherokee is more forgiving with it's lighter wieght, higher clearance, and greater articulation. The IFS is built with great strength, but is unnessary if it is not better than a solid axle. If the advantages were great then I would praise them, but the fact is that they are not. And aren't the liberty guys already talkin about major chassis overhauls. Xj are swapped around to but we beef or lenghten things, not complete change what the vehicle had in the first place.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2002, 05:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I don't think that most stock jeeps (especially leaf sprung)come with a HUGE amount of articulation to begin with. Certainly more than an IFS KJ but not enough to really make a difference to a novice. I agree that if you wanted SFA then you shoulda just bought a jeep with a SFA.There are a copuple people who I've talked to on JU that are considering doing the SAS and I applaud them for trying it but IMHO I would just buy a used XJ like you've suggested so I could mod and beat the thing when and if I wanted to. I built a custom bike a couple years ago and have the build jones again so no telling what will be in my gagage next year.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2002, 12:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

you are talkin about the rear being leaf springs, right, because my front is coils and with the sway bars diconnect provide a good amount of articulation. You were right when you said that the sway's don't help the kj much, but a xj does benefit greatly, in fact you can't get some of the incredible flexes that are done with xj's if the sway's are still connected.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode