89 GW Dies While Driving - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2001, 01:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

89 GW Dies While Driving

Howdy,
I have a '89 Grand Wagoneer (360/V8) that dies intermittently while driving. The problem goes away for a while and just when I start to feel confident again the problem comes back.
There seems to be no apparent signs to indicate it's about to die. I'll be driving anywhere from 10 to 70 mph with everything running fine and then all of sudden its dead. The majority of the time I'll pull over and it will start right up the first time and I'm on my way. However, on a few occasions it took a few minutes to start, once it took about 15 minutes. When it doesn't start right away, the engine seems to crank and turnover fine but then it stops immediately. Eventually after several attempts it'll turnover and continue to run.
I've taken it to 2 different shops with no luck at all. One of the shops did some carb adjustments but didn't solve the problem. Have you ever heard of this problem before? If you have any ideas of where to start or what the culprit might be, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks In Advance,
Kevin Atlikhani

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2001, 03:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 89 GW Dies While Driving

Sounds like a bad ignition module or coil. You can get either one from Autozone/PartsAmerica/NAPA etc. Expect to pay $30-$50 for the ignition module and $10.00 for the coil. They will give you the intermittent problem. The only other thing I could think of would be a bad wire from alt to amp gauge and down to fuse box. It's only a 10 ga. wire and it feeds everything. The amp gauges have a history of going out too, but they will simply kill your waggy dead. Anyways, I would start with the coil (cheapest) then move to the ignition module.

I hope that helps
Phil

Phillip J. Van Why
1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2001, 10:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 77 J10 is having the same problem, but it didn't show up until I adjusted the timing. Now for the engine to run smoothly, my timing is set at 30 degrees before TDC. And it still suddenly dies during driving. Does this also sound like ignition module and coil?

78 CJ5/360/33's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2001, 05:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Your timing is set at 30deg?!! Should be more like 12-16 deg. max. You are prolly so advanced, its not running right. Be sure to remove the vacuum advance and plug it before re-timing. Where you having a problem that you set your timing so far up?

Phil

Phillip J. Van Why
1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2001, 03:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I replaced the Ignition module($50) and the coil($14) and so far so good. I've driven it atleast a 1000 miles without a hitch. Thanks to all for your help

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode