Advice on some problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2001, 07:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Advice on some problems

I bought a 1984 Jeep Grand Wagoner for $25. (Too good of a deal to pass up) It didn't run when I got it but the rest of the vehicle is in fairly good condition. After a long time of trouble-shooting, I realized the spark plug wires were hooked up wrong. It now runs great, but leaks some fluids (Rear axle, Tranny, and engine oil).

Now for the question. The transfer case linkages need adjustment and I don't know how to engage low range.

Does the transfer case need to be in 4wd to use low range?
How can I tell when the linkages are adjusted correctly (besides when the 4wd system works).

P.S. This transfer case has a lever on the floor for HI/LOW and a vacuum switch in the dash for 2wd/4wd.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-30-2001, 10:48 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Advice on some problems

If I remember correctly, yes it needs to be in 4 to engage low. As far as adjusting linkages go out and pick up a service manual at local auto parts store either Chiltons or Haynes are eqaully good but Haynes is usually cheaper. Or go to your public library and copy a section out of a Chiltons manaul for your year, they do cary those at the library. Happy motoring!

na
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2001, 06:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Advice on some problems

First of all, congrats on your purchase!

Manuals, I recommend Haynes and the Factory Service Manuals. They are both invaluable. Chilton's isn't vehicle specific enough for Jeep work IMO. Haynes has a nice section on the shift linkage adjustment for the tranny and t-case.

To shift into 4wd. First of all, you should have a set of vacuum lines going to the front axle. The vacuum motor there is more than likely shot, but you might be able to use some WD-40 or other lube to free it up. That vacuum motor is what engages the front axle. If the front axle won't shift, the t-case won't shift into 4wd (and you don't want it to, as shifting into 4wd without the front axle would burn up the viscous coupling in the T-case). There is also a vacuum motor on the t-case itself. You should lube this also to make sure that it works smoothly. Then, shifting into 4wd is as easy as (with the motor running) switching the dashboard vacuum switch from 2wd to 4wd. You should hear a slight hiss that fades away quickly.

The easiest way to tell if you are in 4wd is to be on a patch of snow/ice/gravel/mud and have a helper watch to see if the front wheels turn. Otherwise, you can try shifting into low range (rolling 2-3mph with tranny in Nuetral) by pulling up on the low-range lever. The t-case won't shift into 4-lo unless it is in 4wd.

I hope that helps.
Phil

PS. Pop over to IFSJA.ORG, they have a fabulous message forum and tech section that is a huge help.

Phillip J. Van Why
1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode