67 J-2000 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2001, 12:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

67 J-2000

I have a 67 J-2000 that I drive daily. It has the Kaiser 327 backed by a TH-400 and Spicer 300 gearbox, and Dana 44 front and back. I have been thinking about changing it over to chevrolet drive train. I have 2 complete blazer chassis. One with a NP-208 and one with an NP-205. What I really need is taller gears. The stock axles have 4.10s and are not great for hiway driving. Does anyone know about using the chev axles and springs with the stock jeep frame? Or would it be easier to change the ring and pinion in the 44s? Im also going to add power steering and would like disk brakes on the front. Also Im not sure just how good the closed knuckle 44 front axle is. Any one have any suggestions? Any help with info or where to locate parts would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2001, 08:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 67 J-2000

spicer gear box?? u mean the xcase? and if so, did u swap in the 300 case?

i c no probs to swapping the GM stuff cept for these:
the front springs on ur j2k are bolted outside of the frame. GMs are not. ud have to weld in some nu spring mounts right beneath the frame rails, not hard to do, just takes a good welder.

the other concern is the distance between the spring pads on the j2k's frame and on the rear axle of the GM. if they aint da same, the mounts on the GM axle wood have to be moved to accomodate the Jeep frame.

next u wood want GM axles from pre 77 4x4s using the genuine d44 axles. the GM 10 bolts (on 77 and up) have less stamina than the axles u have now.

if this is too much, u can always use genuine jeep axles from 74-79 j10s and j20s. cept for moving the spring mounts under the frame up frot on ur 67, theyd be a bolt in.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-23-2001, 09:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info. I could be wrong about the 300 transfer case. Ive had a couple of CJs but this is the first jeep pickup ive owned, so im still learnin. It is an arizona truck and is dent and rust free. Unusual for these im finding out. My goal is just to make it more driveable. I like driving it better than my 2001 Dodge, and the Jeep will go wherever you aim it, just dont plan on getting in a hurry with it. Id probably be satisfied with the dana axles, but taller gears and disk brakes would be a big plus.
Also, the blazer chassis i have are an 80, and a 75 model.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-24-2001, 03:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the 75 have discs?? and genuine D44 axles?
i mean are the covers on the diffs the same shape as those on the j2k?

most likely u have the d20 xcase in the j2k.

come to the FSJ web site for more info at:
www.ifsja.org

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode