Off Roading Forums banner

Thinking about buying 88 GW need info

682 views 2 replies 0 participants last post by  **DONOTDELETE** 
G
#1 ·
I have read some of the previous posts about GWs. I have read what some values and things to look for might be. The 88 that I am looking at has 145,000 miles on it. The door windows and rear glass all work. The power seats work. I did not try to open the rear gate. It runs fair. It did have a little hesitation but it has been sitting for a while. I have looked in my catalog of 4X4s and know that it has a 727/NP242. I belive the 4 wheel worked OK. I drove it with the switch engaged and the light on but could not feel any binding in the front like what all the other 4X4s I have driven. I was far from home and could not find any gravel or mud to test it further. The front tires were a little wore and I believe it might need some repairs.

Is there anything else I should be looking for? It did not have any puddles under it. The power steering pump did have a minor leak but this should be an easy fix I hope.

This GW will be used for pulling my John boat for hunting and getting around when the snow flies. It is priced at $2000. Does it sound worth the effort? What can you tell me about how the 4X4 works. I know it is vacuum but does it have an emergency engage? Is the rear open or limited slip?

Any help would be appreciated.

69 Jeepster Commando 225 V-6, SM420/Dana300,D30/AMC20 widetracks,3" Alcans SUA
Working on PS, PB, Fender flares and wiring. /wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif
Duck Season is approaching! I gotta get this show on the road!

See less See more
G
#3 ·
Umm . . actually it is an NP-229 transfer case. It is a part-time case, but the reason that you did not feel bind is that it is a viscous coupled transfer case. You can shift it into 4wd at 'any legal speed' (shift on the fly if you will). The easiest way to tell if the t-case is going into 4wd is to push the lever over and while rolling at 2-5mph with the tranny in N try shifting from Hi to Lo range (black flag lever on the floor almost under the driver's seat on the tranny hump) pull it up. The t-case won't let you shift into Lo unless the 4wd has engaged. It is vacuum actuated. If you need some help with that let me know.

As long as the interior is in good shape and all the goodies work, you should be in like Flinn. Obviously, you will be looking at a little motor work sometime soon, probably need to change the tranny fluid too. The power steering pump is easy, just make sure that you have a way to swap pulleys if you decide to buy a new/rebuilt unit and definetely new hoses as well. Be prepared for a carb rebuild pretty soon too. The 2150s are pretty decent carbs, and not too bad to rebuld, or if you have the time and $$, Edelbrock offers a Performer series intake that changes it to a regular squarebore 4bbl opening so that you can throw on a Edelbrock or Holley carb for a little more oomph.

Congrats on your purchase!! I hope you have a great time hunting. I know you will love your G-wag in the snow.

Phil

Phillip J. Van Why
1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.