Wagoneer QC Hi-LO question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2000, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Wagoneer QC Hi-LO question

I am looking at a 1978 Wagoneer Limited. It has a SOA on the front with blocks in the rear and a 3" body lift. 34x14.5 Thornbirds in good shape on steel spoke rims. The body is in great shape considering the age with the only eyesore the faded orage paint-job (no big deal), and nice bucket seats out of a car in the front along with the original bench seat in the rear and 3 different colors of carpeting. It has a 360 mated to an automatic tranny (I'm guessing the TH400) and Quadra-Track transfer-case. They are asking $600 obo [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
I took a look underneath and the front driveshaft is disconected, I found it lying inside and tried to fit it up and it looks a bit short, but there were no U-joints there either. Anyways I can have it lengthened a bit no problem. The autmatic transmission shifter moved freely and then I found the Hi-Low range lever by the driver's seat and moved it up and down and there was NO resistance whatsoever. Is this normal, if not can it be easily fixed or will it be better to replace the unit? There are a few QT-equipped Wagoneers and Grand-Wagoneers in the local junk-yard I could get my hands on. (My friend will be getting his tranny out of one of these.) The wiring harness needs to be connected and a new battery installed to get this thing running, so they say. I will try and get it running before I make an offer (if I make an offer.) They also said there were quite a few spare parts for it and many new parts in it already.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2000, 01:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Wagoneer QC Hi-LO question

Are you buying this from a junkyard or a private party? I had to ask because $500-800 is what most wrecking yards will let an FSJ go for. Be careful, find out why the wagoneer is in the yard. If its a private party, that is pretty cheap for a late '70's model. When the SOA was done, maybe they grenaded the u-joints by not correcting the angles. Remember on QT's, the front shaft is always driven unless there is a part time conversion. The low range has 3 detent positions, you should be able to feel them click n place. If not, crawl under and see if its hooked up or if there is even a low range at all.

Chris

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-18-2000, 12:26 AM Thread Starter

It was a private vehichle, and from the looks of the front shaft, they had grenaded a U-joint. I've decided not to buy it (but may tell a friend about it whose got plenty of $$$ but no 4wd truck yet) since I'm in the middle of a major suspension/axle & gearing replacement for my YJ.... Thanks a lot about the Q-Track information, I should be able to bring the price down with that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 02:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Be sure to inspect the transmission near where the CV end of the front driveshaft was, (right rear pan rail area) as the case may have been cracked by the grenading front shaft! AMC pattern th400 bare cases go for over $250 used at my local trans parts wholesaler.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2000, 02:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

250$..really...i guess i shood keep my spare case and not just throw it out...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode