a popping noise - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2000, 09:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

a popping noise

i have a popping noise from the front of my jeep...the best i can tell some where in from the tcase forward
i havent found it yet..it does this every time my left front tire gets really good traction..its not the u joint..
or the front d shaft..other than that i am still scratching my head..please help before i lose all my hair..
oh yeah not to mention the smoke coming out of my ears...thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-03-2000, 05:44 PM

Re: a popping noise

missing byumpstop? is it a V8 auto after 1980? these trucks like to ram the front driveshaft into the driverside exhaust if you get twisty..

the axle pulling is causing something hit, assuming the Ujoints and all that stuff in teh drivetrain is good..

shock mount maybe loose?

hang underthere while you rbest freind drives around the yard, just make sure he isnt mad at you, or had too many beers...JOKE

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas, need a CJ rear seat
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2000, 10:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks ozark jeep,i'll have to try that..but this noise is pretty loud...it sounds like the drive flange is sliping
inside the hud..oh it is a 77 cherokee chief,360,quad-trac...but when i put my new limited slip in the front
i payed close attention to all that when it was out,it looked fine...the axles have new joints...thanks again i'll
go try your ideas

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-09-2000, 11:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Could it be the Q-trac chain slipping? Check it by stomping the brakes, adding gas in gear. Loud pops call for immediate replacement of the chain. Breakage while the truck is rolling will grenade the case! Use only a Borg Warner replacement part, the cheap chinese ones only last a few thousand miles.
Anaheim Gear, in Anahiem CA. has the good ones for around $150. The cheap ones are around $60. A good local trans parts house should be able to get one too.
Hope this helps, good luck!

P.S.,, They are easy to change in the truck by splitting the case. Get a good manual if you haven't done one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode