wagoneer axles - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2000, 06:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

wagoneer axles

What year wagoneer came with a front dana44 with manual locking hubs (non vacuum disconnect) drivers side differential, and a dana44 in the rear witha centered diff with a width of about 60"? thanks

'95 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
33"s, snorkel, 1000+ RTI, Warn xd9000i
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-29-2000, 10:18 PM

Re: wagoneer axles

sounds like a 1972 J7000 to me

just check the IFSJA website and youll see

OzarkJeep
NW Arkansas, need a CJ rear seat
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2000, 01:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

drivers side differentials on the front didn't appear until '80 models. No jeep as far as I know came from the factory with manual locking hubs. They were a dealer or aftermarket option. They weren't available for quadratrac jeeps, which included a lot of later wagoneers. '73-'79 models had an offset rear diff for the quadratrac.
chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2000, 01:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks, so i am looking for a 80's and up... what options were available for the axle engagement? automatic hubs or vacuum???and what years? thanks. i am trying to figure out the numbers for a yj swap. (keeping a little bit of the fullsize going)

'95 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2000, 07:27 AM

Nobody responded to my Joke? man tough crowd!!

lots of them after 1980 had factory locking hubs ( I own one!!)

the ones with the Np 208 transfercases

the ones with automatic hubs are ( I THINK) Vac motor engaged, or solid front drive flanges

but NOT automatic locking hubs...

OzarkJeep
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2000, 02:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey thanks ozark. i think i might end up with an amc model 20 rearend (with the factory one piece axles) for the rear but i definately want the manual hubs for the front. thanks for the info, i will have to check that out about the np208 tcases.

'95 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2000, 09:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was just working on a 1982 Wagoneer that had a driver's side diff and manual locking hubs. I was going to grab the axles but they will not work on my '67. the front and the back are both D44.

Porkchop

Semper Fi do or Die
post #8 of (permalink) Old 03-01-2000, 09:55 PM

It IS possible that a rear axle on a FSJ after 1980 is a dana44, BUT it is very uncommon from what I have seen ( like Ive NEVER seen one, only heard few stories of them) , most are the thick tube single pc axle AMC20, its plenty strong for most applications...

OzarkJeep
post #9 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2000, 12:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've been trying to figure what axles came with what FSJ's and it has been as clear as mud. I've determined that the 87 Grand Wagoneer I am looking at has D44 front and rear.

Here is a reply from another Board that I recieved on this Topic:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FSJ rears were all some type of Dana 44 through '79 (exceptions being Dana 60s on some pickups). In '80 they changed to Heavy Duty AMC 20 rears. I've heard rumors that AMC ran short on HD AMC20s a couple of times and had to buy a few Dana 44s to fill the gaps. This wasn't comon and I've not seen one from between '80 and '86 yet. I've had a couple people swear they had one, but when I looked they had that round "baby moon" diff cover...
In '87 Chrysler ran out of AMC20s and discontiued them, all the rest were Dana 44s until the end of FSJ production.

The HD AMC 20 is really a decent axle with a much heavier center section than the CJ AMC 20 and much thicker tubes. You aren't likley to hurt one of these housings. The axle shafts are also beefy and the desirable one piece style. They have only 28 splines but are actually larger than Dana 44 or even 31 spline Ford 9" shafts. The ring gear on the AMC20 is 8 7/8" inch, 3/8" bigger than a Dana 44. The pinion is huge on these as well. All in all, the HD AMC20 is a fine axle for swapping into a YJ and every bit as strong as a Dana 44.

The only thing I don't like about HD AMC 20s is that they have a crush sleeve for pinion bearing preload. This must not be a huge draw back since most axles use a crush sleeve, but I still prefer shims (like on a Dana 44) that can't change their settings from extreme torque.

------------------
John Nutter '85 CJ7
4x4wire editorial staff

Cutch 88YJ
post #10 of (permalink) Old 03-02-2000, 12:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

yes ozarkjeep, I got your joke. what the heck is a j7000?

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode