swapping parts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2000, 04:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

swapping parts

Ihave a 1973 j4000, 360 3speed, can i put th400 in place of it and only need to change driveshafts, column, radiator, and should i get better fuel mileage ? will windshields on 73 j400 swap with 77wag? what does j3000 mean? thanks

BRADCO JEEPS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-27-2000, 12:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: swapping parts

you'll have to scrouge up a column and linkage, cooler lines, tranny mount and another floor cover, or just patch the one you have. If thre are no cooler connections in your radiator, you can just put an auxiliary cooler on and keep your radiator. I would recommend an extra cooler anyway. Hopefully, you are keeping the D20 transfer case or using another one with a center rear and right side front. you may have to change shift linkage since the T400 is longer than the 3-speed. the tough part will be mating your tranny to the TC. the original d20 adapters are getting scarce. The rear crossmember may have to be relocated for the longer tranny. Check the flywheels too. I think they are a little different.
the windshields should be the same. I don't know of any change over the years.
J4000- 8ft bed, 132 wheelbase, 1/2 ton
j3000- 126 in wheelbase (early models)
You mentioned a '77 wagoneer. Is this the parts donor? You may make it easy and use the QT transfer case but you'll have to get an offset rear axle. Part-time kits are available for these units. If you're doing this swap for mileage, it's probably not worth it. There won't be much difference and I've heard autos are worse because of torque converter slippage. If you want everyday drivability, then go for it. Good luck

Chris

post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2000, 03:27 PM

Re: swapping parts

You will need a flexplate for the auto not a flywheel.
I think and difference between 3000 and 4000 was the axel rating for hauling heavy loads.
J4000 had three different types of DAna 60's over the years and I believe a Dana 70 in late 60's. I have the list at home. use [email protected] if you want exact years.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode