J-20 with Diesel- STOCK? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2000, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

J-20 with Diesel- STOCK?

A little while before Christmas I posted that my friend had located and bought a J-20. While cleaning it up we found two "extra" engine mounts in the engine bay where a 258 currently resides. The VIN# on the vehichle dont incate a gas engine. The Driver's sunvisor has directions on operating a Diesel engine on the top side. What sort of Diesel did Jeep ever use in these trucks? It still has the TH400 and Quadratrac X-case, D-60 rear and D-44 front axles.... Any help is most appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2000, 01:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: J-20 with Diesel- STOCK?

Thats very intresting... I have never heard of the likes b4.... I thought also that they only used a 360 or larger with the q-trac 4 wheel
drive system... Throw out that VIN code so that i can look it up... This should make for an intrsting story.
Later
Dustin

JeepChild
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2000, 10:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The only diesels in jeeps I've ever heard of are the 3 cyl*Cerlist engines in the military FC's. Its possible someone replaced the sunvisors with junkyard ones or your J-20 could've been a commercial rig with a diesel powerplant for a welder, generator, or air compressor. I don't know anywhere in the vin # where it says it would be a diesel. Last possibility is your truck was some kind of oddball special order. When it was sold, someone probably yanked the diesel for the 258.
Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2000, 03:17 AM Thread Starter

There is still the 2nd set of engine mounts though- I'll get the VIN # later today when I wake up

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2000, 09:13 AM
TEX

<font color=purple> The second set of mounts could be for a gas V-8 (360/401) if that diesel turns out not to be stock. </font color=purple>

TEX

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img] Got Mud?
G.U.M.B.O. Mud Racing

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2000, 06:39 PM Thread Starter

Here it is- this is the information on the plate located on the driver's side of the firewall, under the hood in the upper corner.

Jeep Toledo, OH USA
J154571
145 526 533
J5A46XP008339 4600

(Those are Zeros, not the letter 'o')

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2000, 12:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Heres you info....
J- Jeep
5- 1975
A- Toledo, Hydromatic , Left Hand Drive
46- J20 , 131" Wheel base
X- 8000 lbs (GVW)
P- AMC 360 v8, 4 barrell, 195 HP
008339- Was the 8,339 truck to roll out )

Hope this adds some sense into it )
Later
Dustin

JeepChild
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2000, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

J-20 with Diesel- STOCK? (thanks all- another ? for ya...)

This is a great help! There is a 1986 Grand Wagoneer in a junkyard that seems to be all there that they will sell for $800. My friend with the J-20 hates the 258 that is in it and I'm sure he would love to get ahold of that 360- it even has the 4-barrel still on it! He could also use the tilt-steering, the transmission, the steering pump...lets just say it would be a good investment. If the Dana 44 axles under it have the right gearing- 4.??- I will chip in half the cash and get some axles, and he can have the drivetrain.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2000, 10:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: J-20 with Diesel- STOCK? (thanks all- another ? for ya...)

Make sure everythign is there... )
Oh and heres an idea... When he gets that 360 why not hand down the 258 to you?
Maybe you could trick that one out and drop it in you jeep without missing a
heart beat ).... The axles from the Wago would be awesome under your jeep.
They are most likely the selectrac axles and the front is a D44 with the drop on the
drivers side ( will bolt under a YJ with no mod what so ever). The rear would most
likely be a CENTERED D44 which is perfect for your truck. It might also be a M20
which isnt bad at all (rivals the strength of a D60 when trussed). For $800 you cant
go wrong. Plus you could prolly get back half that by selling parts that you dont need
or off your YJ (axles). )
Hope this helps.
Dustin

JeepChild
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2000, 09:03 AM Thread Starter

Re: J-20 with Diesel- STOCK? (thanks all- another ? for ya...)

Oh, I've long since taken a good look at the Grand Wagoneer. It has front and rear D44s, and the rear even has LS. My question though, was what gearing will they come with? I was planning to convert my stock axles to 4.10 gears and put lock-rights front and rear. However, if the D44 axles have 4.10 or better gearing, I will need to put a lock-right in the front, convert to Warn manual hubs, and relocate spring perches. The prices should turn out almost the same, and I would have a set of stock axles to do whatever I want with.
If I have to re-gear the D44s though- it wont be worth it since I'll be moving up to D60s f/r in the end to handle the drivetrain I've planned for my Jeep [6.5L TurboDiesel, NV4500, Atlass 2] that will be turning a minimum of 35" tires.
Most likely I will get his 258, but it will never get into my Jeep, since my own 258 is doing just great, and is MUCH newer. I would like to use a stock Wrangler drivetrain (ALL OF IT- FROM THE ENGINES TO THE AXLES) in a home-built baja-rail hybrid. I would use my engine and drivetrain for that, while his engine would probably be put in a friends back-yard as a spare for their '76 Cherokee that is constantly put in engine-threatening situations. Who knows, but its nice to have spare parts around!
Heres the line-up of my four-wheeling friends:
Me: '89 Jeep Wrangler Sahara. 258/AX-15/NP231 and 31" MTs
Ryan: '88 Toyota Pick-up. BUILT 22R/Toy tanny and x-case/31" MTs
Nick & Sean: '76 Cherokee. 258/T18?/Dana 20(?) SOA in front, blocks in rear, fenders cut, 38" Swampers
Kenny: '75 J-20 SCREWED 258/TH400 (wont come out of gear)/Quadratrac 33" AT/MT

There are many other 4-wheelers in the area but these are the only ones that I 'wheel with frquently.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode