another T18 question! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-20-1999, 11:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

another T18 question!

I am going to swap a 4 speed granny low transmission into my 67 cj5. I was told to buy a T18 from a full size Jeep. No one can tell me what year donor truck to look for and how to tell if it is a granny low transmission. (I know you can turn input shaft and count revolutions vs. output shaft). Any experts out there who know for sure? Thanks in advance. Ed in Iowa.
47 cj2a
67 cj5

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-20-1999, 07:54 PM

Re: another T18 question!

Im no expert Edd, BUT

Ive looked into this too ( Ive got a Cj5, 1977)
the FSJ T18a will be about 10 inches too long for your CJ5, you know that right>
here is my easy solution, but a Ford T18 also, and swap the input shafts..Or buy a NEW short input shaft for about $200

the later 70s FSJ trucks had granny low T18a's, but I would always verify the shaft turn count before plopping any $$ down...

Ive got a line on a CJ length T18a for $700 just rebuilt if your interested email me
Ive already found one

ozarkjeep
1977 CJ5 looking for T18a and hardtop!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 03:40 PM

Look for a T18 from a 76-79 CJ. They used the 6.xx ratio T18's. You didn't say what rear is in your 65 but if it's the offcenter 44 you might have problems. I don't know how easy, or if you can, mate a T18 to a Dana18 transfercase. You might want to think about using the Dana20 transfer with the T18 and finding a centered 44. Also the linkage on a t18 Dana 20 is longer to accomadate the longer transmission. By the way the 76-79 T18 is only about 3 inches longer than a T150 or T15. You will have to move/change your center skid plate to help support/attach the T18. Look at the article in Offroad.com called T18 swap. It outlines the changes of putting a T18 into a 76 or up CJ5. The cost for one of these transmission/transfer/drive shaft combo will run about $4-600. Might be worthwile over buying the Ford t18 and the swap parts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-28-1999, 04:01 PM

Found this add
Jeep Stuff For Sale:
1976-1979 T-18 Trans

0 miles since rebuild, over $400 in new parts alone. Sell for $600 obo, will not ship.

Located: Denver, CO
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 303/750-8189

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-30-1999, 09:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info guys. I have purchased a T98 from a 1970 Wagoneer (buick V8). It's on the way- sure hope it'll fit between my dana 18 and Buick V6 OK. I'll let you know how it goes.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-30-1999, 01:45 PM

I think the t98 did use an adapter for the 6cyl. Are you getting the bell houseing also?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-30-1999, 03:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes the bellhousing is coming with the tranny. I'm a little worried about the tranny input shaft and the new bellhousing being too long for me to use in my short wheel base. If so I'm hoping to swap or modify the input shaft to use my stock bellhousing.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2000, 01:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My T98 (70 Wagoneer) arrived, turns out it is a T18 (says T98 on top cover, this is normal). I was relieved to find it has granny low by turning/counting shaft revs. The bellhousing, input shaft, and bearing retainer are way too long for me to use. I will have to either buy adapter kit ($$$$$$$$$$) or find input shaft out of Ford T18. Any advice? Will Ford short input shaft and bearing retainer fit my Buick V6 bellhousing without a lot of mods? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode