Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Full Sized (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-full-sized/)
-   -   Jacobs Electronics for Grand Wagoneer? (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-full-sized/8743-jacobs-electronics-grand-wagoneer.html)

Brit 12-03-1999 11:52 AM

Jacobs Electronics for Grand Wagoneer?

Has anyone had experience with Jacobs Electronics on FSJ's?
My 89 Grand Wag has fried the module (or does it just poop
out and quit?) It would seem like the best time for an upgrade
since the stock sparkmaker is dead.
Thanks for any input[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Brit
85 CJ7

**DONOTDELETE** 12-03-1999 02:51 PM

Re: Jacobs Electronics for Grand Wagoneer?

A couple of months back JP magazine put a DUI distributer in a 360 J10. They said it was nearly a drop in, and cured all their ignition problems. If you can find the atricle, it is worth the read.

Tim 12-03-1999 08:42 PM

If you want to really upgrade, go with the Davis Unified Ignition, (DUI), it's a GM HEI clone for the AMC engine. Pull out your existing distributor and the module box that connects to it and drop in the DUI. Everything is inside the DUI that's needed, just supply a 12 volt ignition wire and you're set. I wouldn't waste my time with the Jacobs setup. I had their previous wiz-bang setup, (I think it was called "Mileage Master" or something), on my '76 Waggie about 10 years ago. The only thing that was noticeable was the high pitch squeel when it was on. No noticeable power or mileage increase. Gotta admit, they do have impressive advertising. Don't get sucked in. Contact Performance Distributors for a DUI at 901-396-5782.

**DONOTDELETE** 12-17-1999 01:12 AM

However, I just put the Omni on my '83 360. The difference was noticeable and immediate.
It went from a hard start to immediate with more power. This is the third time I've used Jacobs and
have always had good results. The first time, incidentally, was about ten years ago on a 258.
I liked it then and the improvements
since then have made me love their products. Never used the DUI.

**DONOTDELETE** 12-30-1999 09:07 AM

I had the sad experience of using a Jacobs on an 86 F150, 302. It was tested extensively and made virtually NO difference. I was ONE DAY over the 30 days and they refused to take it back. I made the mistake of leaving it on. After about 4 months the vehicle virtually wouldn't run on the interstate in Metro Minneapolis and I HAD to keep it going for a mile. The result was all the gas not burned in the ignition burned in the catalytic convertor. $300 later it was back on the road. I, for one, will NEVER use a Jacobs product and would not recommend them to anyone. IF you have an ignition problem, then an aftermarket will generally help. On newer style, very unlikely. Main thing is get GOOD spark plug wires and make sure everything stock is working right.

**DONOTDELETE** 01-07-2000 12:51 PM

I have used an old Jacobs ignition for years.. I recommend them.

Do Right and Suffer the Consequences...Sam Houston

**DONOTDELETE** 01-09-2000 05:35 PM

Get a Standard Ignition products module (5 year guarantee), a good set of plug wires (silicone jacket, helical or spiral wound core) for a simple, low cost fix. Be sure your distributor is in good shape, a rebuilt one is around $50-$60 exchange. For an upgrade, the MSD billet distributor and Off-road module work excellently and are 50 state legal.