Buying a '77 J20 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-02-1999, 12:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Buying a \'77 J20

A friend of mine is planning to buy a '77 J20. Can anyone give me some hints to look out for? Its a '77 J20 outfitted with a camper. It has 16.5 rims, 401 motor with auto tranny, quadratrac TC with I think a part time system as it has locking hubs. Low range selector on the floor with a swtich on the dash for going from 2wheel to 4wheel. The only problem I can find is a leak in the gas tank. It does have a skid plate on it making me think that the tank might possibly have rusted out from water and crap getting between the tank and the skid. Are the known for doing this? It also has some sort of Auxilary tanks built into the the box walls that automatically drain into the main tank. The truck runs well and looks good although it is obviously that the lower edges have rust that have been painted over. Are these trucks hard to get tanks for? I don't see many at the wreckers but I do see a lot of GWs, will a tank from a GW fit? Any idea what gearing the axles may have? What's the largest tire this truck can run. it has old 9.5 or something like that on it now. Are they any good offroad? Thanx for the advice.

cLAY

cLAY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-02-1999, 02:30 AM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Buying a \'77 J20

Great truck. Great and rather rare engine. Poor mileage, (all full size gas rigs have poor mileage). Q-trac conversion to part-time is a plus. Separate skid plate below tank would indicate a factory option. A welded plate on a aftermarket tank would be okay. Cherakee and Wagoneer tanks might be the same as J-truck. Aero tanks in CA makes larger replacement tanks with or without skidplate welded to bottom. According to my sources, '77 J-20 w/401 came with 3.73:1 axle ratio. Sounds like the old size 9.50x16.5 tires have stayed with the rig. Looks like the next step up in 16.5" tires would be 31/10.50R-16.5. Not many tires made this size, but should fit okay. Next size up is 33/12.50's which would need about a 3" suspension lift to fit. More choices in sizes available for 16" wheels than 16.5's. Tell your friend to go get it and enjoy.
Tim Bothwell
'66 Jeepster Commando w/Buick 252/4.1L V-6
'70 Wagoneer w/Buick 350 V-8
'76 Wagoneer w/AMC 401 V-8 (sold)

post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-02-1999, 05:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info. I has pretty much already decided to but it, in fact he would have bought it on the spot but I managed to convince him that taloking it over with his wife would be a good idea first. Women rather aprreciate that. Anyway we are probably going to get it tonight. I guess we will have to pull off the skid to see if the tank is salvagable-ie not all rusted to hell. Also since the J20 has the conversion done can it still operate as a Full timew T-case or is it just like a regular 4wheel drive? The dial on the dash just has two poistions marked in white out-2WD and 4WD. Also do these T-cases have a nutreal postion in the T-case? I had an '80 GW with Q-trac and it had a nutreal postion. Thanks again for the info.

cLAY
'73 Dodge W100 Club Cab Short Box 4X4
'83 AMC Eagle Limited
'89 Cherokee Larado

cLAY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-02-1999, 11:44 PM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

If the Q-trac has the part-time conversion, it now is like any part time 4wd vehicle. Transfer case is now engaged and disengaged with the vacuum switch knob in the glove compartment. Hubs now can be engaged and disengaged as on all part-time vehicles. The neutral position is there only if the Q-trac was equipped with optional low range. Lever is on right side of driver's seat floorboard. As I recall, down is high range, up is low range and middle is neutral. The converted Q-trac will now use ATF instead of special Q-trac fluid.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-03-1999, 12:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

That's too bad its just a part time system now. I rather liked the Full time option that I had in my GW. Oh well can't be helped now.

cLAY

cLAY
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-03-1999, 09:58 AM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

Think of it this way. Mileage will be a little better and there will be less wear on the front driveline.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-06-1999, 09:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hello

My buddy Andy has done a lot of research on J-10s and a lot of work on his J-10. He may be able to help you and your buddy out with questions and info.

He can be reached at [email protected]

Take care

Rob Bubala

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode