On board Air Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 05:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

On board Air Question

I am usually on the short wheel base board, but I thought you all might be the experts here. I am putting the 360 from a 83 grand wagoneer in my CJ. It has PS, AC and a smog pump. I am wondering if there is anyway to add a second air compressor to have on board air. Any ideas?

Thanks

Shawn

82 CJ-7, dead 258, auto, 33's, 4.56 gears, detroit locker (rear) true trac (front)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 09:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: On board Air Question

Most of the guys replace the AC with their on-board air. I did see a guy that had replaced his smog pump with the compressor. I have also seen one where a guy had swapped the Altenator and the AC Comp, so that the Alt wasn't so hard to get to. Maybe that will give you some ideas.

Take nothing but pictures . . . Leave nothing but big tracks in the mud and paint on the rocks and trees . . . Kill nothing but time and shackles and an occasional rod or two . . .
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-16-2001, 10:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm working on an 86 Wag that's more for daily driving. I plan to add a small elec. compressor and tank for air as needed and it's one lees thing drawing on the engine. This way I turn on the compressor only when needed. It's also cowded under the hood because I'm keeping the AC. I've added a aux battery & 8ga. cable to the back for power inverter & amp also. I've got a small cylinder tank but I'm looking for a flat, round 'pan shaped' tank might fit in the spare. I've got light recoiling hose that stashes in a panel in the rear. I'm doing this on an FSJ and I'm not familiar with the room you have to work with on a CJ but this just seems to work on my truck.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 11:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have on-board air on both my CJ and on my Cherokee Chief. On the Chief I retained the original A/C compressor by building so simple brackets. You can do the same thing in your CJ but I did mine in the CJ without A/C to worry about. If you want to see some pictures of the brackets I built and how they went in goto www.photopoint.com and but in my e-mail address ( [email protected] ) then goto projects. Let me know if you need something else. Hope that helps

Phillip S. Losh
'79 Cherokee Chief

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2001, 06:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

sirjeepalot: That is an awesome setup! I would love to buy the plans/brackets . . . whatever you have to duplicate that setup in my G-wag. I sent you an email.

Take nothing but pictures . . . Leave nothing but big tracks in the mud and paint on the rocks and trees . . . Kill nothing but time and shackles and an occasional rod or two . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode