88 Grand Buy? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-2001, 12:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

88 Grand Buy?

I just looked at an 88 Grand Wagoneer with 124,000 miles. Interior and Exterior look fine. Has some gadget problems though. Electric passenger seat doe not work, driver's door lock does not work, rear passenger door lock does not work, rear passenger door only opens from outside, tailgate latch sticks open and only latched with some coaxing. I am looking for a second vehicle to haul equipment in and maybe pull a trailer. It seems like a good project vehicle for someone like myself who is mechanically challenged. Am I over my head with these types of repairs? Does anyone have experience with these repairs. I have read several posts regarding the electric rear window being a pain to keep in working order. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 08:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 88 Grand Buy?

Have you had it checked out by a Mechanic? If your'e not too experienced, I would definetely have someone look it over. As far as the problems you mentioned, Electrical problems of any kind can be challenging. The windows and locks are a fairly simple system and can be successfully re-worked with patience and good diagrams and slow methodical trouble shooting. The power seat is a problem. Those motors are spendy and the wiring can be tricky. You might look for a used motor or seat unit at your local yard before you invest in the vehicle. If you decide to go with it and work on it yourself, you will need to buy the Technical Service Manual (Dealer only item unless you can find one on ebay) and a Haynes manual (the Chilton's is more generic and not as easy to follow, but I keep one anyway. Between the three I usually find what I need). Hope that helps.

Take nothing but pictures . . . Leave nothing but big tracks in the mud and paint on the rocks and trees . . . Kill nothing but time and shackles and an occasional rod or two . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode