SJ Lifts - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-13-1999, 10:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

SJ Lifts

I'll get the ball rolling on tech stuff.

I have a 91 GW. Just got through rebuilding the motor, now it's time to consider lifting. Seems like the kit options are limited. My questions are
Who makes the best kit?
Should I go over axle in front?
Should I get new springs in rear or go with blocks?
How does the ride change (this is primarily a grocery hauler/ski-mobile) Don't want it to ride like buck board (like my Commando)

Any help would be appreciated.
Anyone looking for engine options (360 or 258) i've done them both and have kept some notes.

Slammer
'73 COmmando
'91 GW (SJ = Spouse Jeep)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-15-1999, 07:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: SJ Lifts

I would say, alot has to do with how high you want to go. I lifted my 83 GW only 3 inches, and installed 31s. This size tire works well with the 3sp auto, and stock 3.31 gears. This is my wifes daily-driver, so i wanted to keep it relativly mild. A SOA conversion will give you about 5 inches or so, if you go that high, definatly get new rear springs, although you may still need to use a small lift block. I used a block to lift the rear of mine in order to save some money. If you tow a trailer, or load up the back, avoid using a lift block.
JEEPRZ

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-1999, 09:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree with jeeprz say away from the lift blocks and soa if you tow .
Go with a spring lift for stable towing.
Now the question is which one for a good ride that i do'nt know.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-1999, 12:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did a SOA on the front of my cousin's '85 GW in August. This is the way to go if you are going to use it on the trail. There are some
obstacles to overcome though. The steering is the big one. We made an ultra strong dropped drag link using two stock drag links
and a peice of 4"x10"x 7/8" thick steel. We also needed a drop pitman arm becuase of the amount of flex the front end had.
A much better answer is to buy or build a high
clearance steering setup. We were able to keep stock brake lines but had to re-locate them. The front driveshaft
needed to be lenghtend a bit as well.

We were in a hurry on the rear and did 3" adda leafs and 2" blocks. This Winter we are going to pull those out and re-locate the
spring mounts to below the frame. This will level out the truck and greatly increase articulation. The stock driveshaft was fine on the rear and the brake line only needed to be re-located.

This truck rides nice now. It's really not much worse than stock, and that can be attributed to the adda leafs. We've found that it's
so soft that we need to put the track bar back on the front though. Overall this gave the truck the height it needed, but it still needed
trimming to fit 33" tires for off-road use - mostly becuase the front end flexes so well.

Anyways, SOA is the ticket for a FSJ on the trail becuase it really helps articlaution, but I'd probably just go with a good quality set of 4" springs for a daily driver
or tow vehicle.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2000, 12:02 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What are you refering to by SOA?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2000, 12:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

an SOA is short for Spring Over Axle. in the OEM relations, the springs on the BIG jeeps on the front is place BELO the axle tubes. to lift the jeep without have the stiff springs normally needed via store bought kits, u can place the springs OVER the axle tubes. more engineering is needed for this type of lift on THIS type of jeep as no1 usually lifts the BIG jeeps to drive the trails.

i did an SOA to my 66 wagoneer only because no1 made a lift kit for it. it does great on the trail and rides nice on the street. the steering is a prob on an SOA. but many companies make kits to relocate the steering to above the springs. hicks 4x4 in SoCal comes to mind

take a look at me web site for a pic and bio.
http://home.earthlink.net/~kenns9/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode