FSJ questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 01:54 AM
dasumax

FSJ questions

Hello everybody
Been thinking of getting a fsj, but don't know what to look for. I've had 4x4 chevy's fords, and toyotas, but know nothing about the fsj's. I've been looking at all the info on the net and stuff, but don't know what would be best for rockcrawling, and know noone around here with a fsj to help. what's better, wagoneer, or cherokee...quadratrac what came with the best set up etc... thanks for the help
david

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 10:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: FSJ questions

87-91 wood be best. d44s FnR NP xcases, fairly nu, lo milage. spring over an bod lift gets u 36" tires...

take a look at mine.

http://home.earthlink.net/~kenns9/index.html

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 11:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you're going to rockcrawl and need a beater, I would look for a '76-'79 cherokee or j-truck with a T18 4-spd and dana 20 transfer case. They're often dirt cheap too.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2001, 12:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I agree, go with a '77 to '79. Manual or auto is up to you. The Quarda-trac system takes a little getting used to but it is a great system or go T-18 4 speed with a gear driven dana 20 transfercase. The '77 to '79 has power disk brakes and D44s f/r. Also there is no computer and a lot less electronics to mess with in a pre-80 vehicle. After 1980, alot of the components got weaker while trying to lose weight and gain fuel efficiency. Another great thing is that they can be found for dirt cheap.

Phillip S. Losh
'79 Cherokee Chief

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-26-2001, 03:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

YESSS!!! 79'-77' are da' best years. D44's front n rear. A SOA with no body lift will fit 35"s. The Q-trac with and auto will yield you a lower crawl ratio because of the torque converter.
I chopped the top off of my 2 door for the "Jeep feeling".
You get the best wheel base for rock crawling too. Just look at all of the people who are lengthening their CJ's, and Wranglers!!!

"The Great Pumpkin"
77 Cherokee/SOA/35's
96 XJ/3"/31's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2001, 01:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think it depends on what you want to do with it. If I were to build a serious rock crawler, I would look for a WT Cherokee or J-3k series truck. Depending on how much $$ you are going to dump into it.

For a mild rig that is streetable, the Grand Wagoneer has no equal. You can pick them up for pennies on the dollar, have all of the amenities you could ever dream of and have a VERY capable four-wheel drive.

Just my .02
Phil

Phillip J. Van Why
1985 Jeep Grand Wagoneer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode