84 Grand Wagoneer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-07-2001, 04:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

84 Grand Wagoneer

I've recently purchased an 84 Grand Wagoneer..Any ideas on the fuel system for picking up some more power?I would like to lift the Jeep as well and put some 33x12.50's to start and in the future upsize to 35's..Any ideas?? I would appreciate any input on the subject of this Jeep in general..

Thanks,JJK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2001, 03:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 84 Grand Wagoneer

There's actually a few options for you. Edelbrock offers a complete Performer series upgrade for the AMC 305/360/401 series engines. Intake manifold (EGR) P/N 3731 229.50 from Summit Racing, 600cfm carb P/N 1405 198.95 from Summit, Camshaft Kit P/N 2132 114.95 from Summit, Timming Set P/N 7818 54.95 from SDPC. My set is being installed with my new motor next week, but the guys that have even just done the intake/carb have noticed significant gains in torque. All of the Edelbrock stuff is listed at Edelbrock.com. Ignition can be upgraded, MSD 6T ignition approx. $200.00, MSD Distributor $250.00. Or, Holley offers intakes/carbs also, or you can upgrade to TBI for $700.00 to $1400.00. Just depends on how much you want to spend and how tired your existing motor is. Remanufactured motors range $1k to $2K depending on who you go to, or you can build your own. Spped Pro does offer a premium rod/piston/ring kit for $500.00. Edelbrock has a graph on their site detailing the torque and HP gains with their kits. There are also some other less expensive ignition upgrades you can do, just search some of the posts on here and you'll find what you need.
As for your lift, look up some of Riverbeast's posts, he's running either 33's or 35's. I think he's running 6" of overall lift but it might be more. I personally am planning a 2" body lift and 4" suspension lift (replacement springs on all four corners) with 33's. That seems to be a winning combination, but mine is still awesome off-road stock.
The engine/tranny/transfer cases all seem to be really awesome. I personally am upset with my 360 right now, but that is just the fact that it's puking out oil at the rate of a quart a week. It's my fault though, I needed to rebuild my oil pump and didn't get on it in time, now it's costing me a lot more. You should have the Torque Flight 727 transmission (TF 727) with either a New Process 208 or New Process 229 transfer case (If you have manual locking hubs, it's a 208). Front axle is a Dana 44F, rear is either an AMC 20 or Dana 44.
Buy yourself a Haynes (not a Chilton's) and the TSM, they will save you mucho, especially on wiring and vacuum problems and you will need both. Otherwise, good luck, and happy Jeepin'!

Take nothing but pictures . . . Leave nothing but big tracks in the mud and paint on the rocks and trees . . . Kill nothing but time and shackles and an occasional rod or two . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode