71 WAGONEER - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 01:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

71 WAGONEER

I am purchasing a 1971 Wagoneer with 49K miles and all original condition down to the paint and tires. I am trying to find a lift kit for it and having no luck looking at vendors online offerings. Does anyone have a line on something like this? About 3 inches would be nice but would not want to go more than 4". Thanks, Marty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 08:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 71 WAGONEER

I had the same problem with both my '77 Wagoneer and my '85 GW. Skyjacker, Trailmaster, Rancho, they all make kits for FS Jeeps, but they are not popular enough to list them online. Most 4x4 shops have them listed in their catalogs, they just have to dig a little. Expect to spend $400 to $500 for replacement springs front, blocks rear (not including shocks) and $1200 for full replacement everything (not including shocks). If you need some name and numbers I can get them for you but they would have to ship from CO. Don't know if your interested in that.

Take nothing but pictures . . . Leave nothing but big tracks in the mud and paint on the rocks and trees . . . Kill nothing but time and shackles and an occasional rod or two . . .
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 07:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If my options are that limited then I better entertain anything that could be a possibility. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 11:04 AM
Tim
Keyboard Implanted

I doubt if any company has a kit for any FSJ from before '73. I would suggest going to a local spring shop for a custom set made to your preferences. I would reccomend you have them made with more thinner leaves for a ride that won't jar your teeth out as most commercial kits do for other rigs. Alcan spring in CO and National Spring in CA would most likely be able to make a set and send them to you.

Tim
'66 Jeepster Commando w/Buick 252/4.1L V-6
'70 Wagoneer w/Buick 350 V-8
'76 Wagoneer w/AMC 401 V-8 (sold)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 01:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have been researching this for a year for my 1970 J-3000. I may be wrong, but you are probably in the same boat as me. Guys like Tim, Kenny, Riverbeast, or Chris, please correct me if I'm wrong (these guys know a ton!) There is nothing available for this vehicle from anyone. I assume your 71 is closed knuckle with the leafs outside the frame like my truck. My truck is factory spring over also so it's also not an option for me, I don't know if your 71 is spring under or over so that might be an option. The 73 and newer have open knuckle front axle with the springs under the frame. The lifts available for the post 73 vehicles will not work. Everything and anything you do to lift it must be custom, big $$. You can either get custom springs, but with bigger tires and the leafs outside the frame you have a giant turning radius, good luck in parking lots! You also have all the custom work to do with your steering geometry if you go more and a couple inches, and drive shafts and brake lines. Another route is to swop axles and steering components out of a post 73, or have custom axles built, and have your spring purches moved under the frame, basically making it like a post 73 then you could use the available kits, so I've been told.

Go back on this board and find the post I did about help lifting a J-3000 Gladiator about a year ago and you will find all the responses I got, good info.

I think you're in the same boat as me. Unfortunatly you cannot just go down to the 4x4 center and go home with a box of parts and bolt them on! It depends on what you want to do with the vehicle and how much time and $$ you want to spend.

Me, I decided to just run the truck the way it is for a few years and save some $$ and slowly gather all the parts I need. My truck also only has about 50k original miles and is my daily driver so I'm in no hurry. When I'm ready I plan on having the spring purches moved, springs made from National Spring, getting custom dana 60 f/r axles made from Dynatrac, having drive shafts made and fabricating the steering, then replace the buick 350 with the buick 455 I have. We're talking a LOT of time and $$, but I plan on having the truck for 20 years. I would rather have my old Gladiator than a new Chevy, Ford or Dodge. It has personality!

Sorry for the bad news. Good Luck, let us know how you do and if you do learn or find anything new please share.

Curt

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2001, 09:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry for the erroneous info. My manuals cover '66 through '81 Wagoneers, I thought the suspension was the same. My bad.

Take nothing but pictures . . . Leave nothing but big tracks in the mud and paint on the rocks and trees . . . Kill nothing but time and shackles and an occasional rod or two . . .
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-10-2001, 11:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There is nothing for pre-74 fsj's commercially available that I'm aware of. Either go the custom route or mix and match springs from other makes. Some people use add-a-leafs.but they make the ride stiffer.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode