79n cherokee still dies at 45 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 07:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

79n cherokee still dies at 45

Okay folks.... here goes again.........
to recap I own a 1979 jeep cherokee s, freshlt rebuilt 360 freshly rebult 400 th, brand new carter afb 4 bbl, new edelbrock performer intake, new bfgoodrich 33" MTA's, new 4 inch suspension lift, new 2 inch body lift, new fuel pump, new poly gas tank all new rubber filler hoses and vent lines to and from gas tank, new fuel filters(all that is new or fresh rebuilt)

still have the sputter/ stall like the Oh SHI! I'm running out of gas symtoms at 45MP but it seems to be okay after engine has completely cooled off!

I am still kicking around the vapor lock theory and printed out some really early messages about this that was discussed like a thousand messages ago!

Filling with gas is difficult as nozzles keep shutting off except some older stations that do not emissions boots. vent lines are not kinked to charcoal canister.

this is becoming very frustratng!

and lack of reading material on the whole vapor lock phenomena is equally discouraging.

I would love feedback form others that fixed this problem!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2001, 10:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 79n cherokee still dies at 45

Replace the PCV Valve... Breather Filter... and have the rest of the emission system checked out. While your at it, check your plugs and make sure you have the right gap.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 07:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

my '77 had that problem . . . gas wouldn't fill right, I actually dumped a gallon of gas on the ground at a gas station one time out of the tank vent . . . it used to sputter and choke when I turned too fast or just running on warm days . . . I dropped the tank and just cleaned all of the crap out of the tank fittings, then, when I rebuilt my carb (factory 2bbl), I relocated the fuel lines so they didn't run as close to the exhaust manifold and had a more straight shot from the fender to the fuel pump and up to the carb. The combination seemed to cure the problem. The gas thing I didn't ever fix, I just had to stand there and spoon feed it.

Take nothing but pictures . . . Leave nothing but big tracks in the mud and paint on the rocks and trees . . . Kill nothing but time and shackles and an occasional rod or two . . .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 11:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

dive 30 thank you, I have completely replaced the fuel system, hoses, vent lines, gas tank (poly) sending units filters, pumps,carb, (thinking of adding an electric back up pump to a second tank under spare tire area) interested in the fuel line re routing, could you walk me through the routing, and did you use another models fuel line or by stock materials and tube bend and flare fittings your self..

post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2001, 08:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I bought tubing and bent it myself. Originally, mine was steel tubing that ended about a foot past the firewall, not really attached to anything, but pretty close to the driver's fender. It was just kind of angled up and then they had clamped rubber hose onto that and it ran up over (not touching, but close) the exhaust manifold and the valve cover,. Then it went back down to the fuel pump (with the supply) while the return line branched off to the other side of the fuel filter. I don't think that was OEM. Anyway, when I re did it I took steel tubing all the way forward, following the fender until I 90'd out just before the washer reservoirs. Then I took both tubes out in rubber to the fuel pump (under the power steering pump) and on up to the filter and the carb. The fuel filter is still in an ackward spot, but it doesn't angle over the valve covers. The only problem I see is that if I ever change to dual exhaust, the fuel line will once again be in danger. I have thought about using a heat shield where the tubing is closest to the exhaust headers, but I haven't seemed to need to. I did make sure to run the return and supply lines as parallel as I could all the way through. I read somewhere that helps stabilize the temperature of the fuel. I hope that helps, feel free to e-mail me if I just totally confused you.

Take nothing but pictures . . . Leave nothing but big tracks in the mud and paint on the rocks and trees . . . Kill nothing but time and shackles and an occasional rod or two . . .
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2001, 02:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Had the same problem after rebuilding my 360 and installing an Offy aluminum intake and playing with carbs - after some real frustration and talking to a Holley carb guy, the problem was solved - a 1 inch thermal insulator base block between the carb and manifold - go for the quality product and make sure there is good gasket contact between manifold and thermal block otherwise you'll develop a vaccum leak and be scratching your head again. Good Luck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode