81 J-10 poly gas tank help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2001, 10:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

81 J-10 poly gas tank help

Need help on replacing my factory poly tank. Anyone who has done this please help, I have found companies who sell tanks for J-10 but only till 79 no one sell these odd ball tanks and yes I have tried JB weld, too many cracks and as soon as I fill tank to full the cracks open up. My rig is a 81 J-10 360 V8,727,208NP the fill neck exits on the driver side and the sending unit is mounted on the front vertical.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2001, 10:03 PM
brendan

Re: 81 J-10 poly gas tank help

Maybe tanks don't last in your climate, where ever that is. The tank in my 85 sounds like it is the same thing, and has no problems. Why not try a junkyard? Brendan

Proud owner of the world's best running Carter BBD
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2001, 08:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for your reply fellow jeeper!!!! My area is deep south Texas about 10 miles from mexican border and half an hours drive from South Padre Island. We have had 100 plus degree weather and hoping for a hurricane for some relief from this heat. I have search junkyards but come across tanks that are worse shape than mine. BorderBandit over and out!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2001, 12:37 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would recomend something from JCwhitney,they carry everything in anysize shape and form, and as an alternate I might suggest a 20gal "thin & flat" custom "under-seat" mounted tank , they are covered in heat resistant fibers and mount under the rear seat, or cargo area, and provide flexy hose for mounting to stock gas port.......just a thought....drillling required but any metal savy moron can do it, just ask my brother

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2001, 10:40 AM
brendan

I was guessing you were in a desert climate. My jeep was born and raised in Midcoast Maine, so plastic deterioration isn't a problem. Maybe try driving north a few hours and touring junkyards? Brendan

Proud owner of the world's best running Carter BBD
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2001, 11:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A rather pricey option but I know aero-tanks sell some jeeper tanks. do a search on this site and you should be able to get a # I called for my 70 wag and it was a bit over 300$ Also try contacting JW Jeep here in Cally They kin be pricey to but prolly have what yer needin. (they gotta web page - sorry don't know the HTTP)

Brian D. RdHawg
70 Wagoneer w/350 buick v8
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2001, 02:17 PM
Keyboard Implanted

www.jwjeep.com

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2001, 08:59 PM
soundwve

Two ideas: 1)Look for a local company that fabricates metal fuel tanks, and have them make you one. OR 2) Get ahold of a tank from a full size truck (doesn't matter what kind) and mount it in the bed until you locate one that fits. (By the way, is it an 18 gallon? If so, a late '70s Jtruck one should fit, since the body dementions didn't really change.)

I'm big. I'm heavy. I've got true four wheel drive. Therefor, I own the road!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2001, 11:37 AM

A poly tank from a Marine/Boating store might be of use too.

'89 Comanche, '89 Wrangler, '74 Postal
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2001, 02:39 PM
Veteran

I went through this with a '82 Stepside I had yes IT SUCKS - we went through this about a year ago, believe it or not, our local Jeep dealer said we could still buy one new. However, it was like $330 - I tried JWJeep & they didn't have any left. I ended up buying an entire '83 instead & the guy had patched his up anyway (but it was holding) Anyway, good luck.

-Mel

http://www.in2jeeps.com
"The only makeup I wear is never-seez"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode