86 G/W WITH AMC 20 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 02:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

86 G/W WITH AMC 20

Q: I JUST BOUGHT AN 86 G/W WITH 360, TH400, 228, D-44 F AND AMC 20 REAR. I HAVE NEVER MESSED WITH A 20 BEFORE SO HERES GOES. SOMEONE TOLD ME THE AMC 20s USED IN THE G/W ARE A HEAVY DUTY TYPE. IS THIS TRUE ?? I THOUGHT THEY ONLY MADE ONE TYPE OF 20. WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE CJ STYLE 20 AND G/W 20 IF ANY.

THANKS IN ADVANCE,
KARL

89 2D XJ, 9+" OF LIFT, LOCKED F&R, 4.56, 4.1 LR, 38 X 12.5 TSLs AND TO MANY OTHERS TO LIST !!

I LIKE IT DIRTY,
XJ89XJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-16-2001, 07:48 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 86 G/W WITH AMC 20

what you have is an amc m 20 h.d. it has one piece axles,as compared to the cj model which is a two piece axel..
some say it is almost as strong as a ford 9 in...but dont hold me to that!!! ))))

fullsize jeep fanatic
oh yeah> the bigger the better
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2001, 07:53 PM

You dont have a TH-400 in there. They used TF-727s in the 80s.... Sorry but I dont know about the M20 axle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 02:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

HOTSHOT AND SYCHO,
THANKS FOR TAKING THE TIME TO RESPOND.
SYCHO, DO U KNOW MUCH ABOUT A-TRANS, LIKE WHICH IS THE BETTER OF THE 2, THE 727 OR THE 400 ??

HOTSHOT, CAN U TELL ME MORE ABOUT THE HD-20 ?? AND HOW DOES IT COMPARE TO THE D-44 ?? AND WHAT MOD WOULD I NEED TO DO TO GET IT AS STRONG AS A D-44 IF ANY ??

THANKS, KARL

89 2D XJ, 9+" OF LIFT, LOCKED F&R, 4.56, 4.1 LR, 38 X 12.5 TSLs AND TO MANY OTHERS TO LIST !!

I LIKE IT DIRTY,
XJ89XJ
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 12:52 PM

The 727 is the better of the two, just barely. It is a bit stronger (although I doubt you'd ever break either) and a bit shorter (though with your long wheelbase this is a moot point). It is much more efficient though! This results in better response and mileage, and generally cooler operating temps (which leads to longer life). You can bolt more transfer-cases to it without any special adapters. I beleive any Jeep x-case used from 1980 will bolt on, with the notable exception of the pre-90 NP207 and NP231s used behind manual transmissions (they have a 21-spline input shaft instead of 23-spline. You can swap in a later 23-spline shaft for the NP231 'case). The J-Truck x-case from the 80s, the NP-208, is also interchangeable and a nice way to get a part-time 'case under your rig. If you ever want to swap to a passenger-side-drop front axle, a Dana 300 will also bolt up.

This tranny was used in TONS of Chrysler and AMC vehichles and has many aftermarket parts and rebuild kits for it. Swapping a MOPAR engine (like a 318 or 360) should be pretty easy with this transmission. A MOPAR bellhousing and appropriate flexplate and torque converter can be swapped onto it. These parts are fairly cheap and easy to find in a junkyard.

They are both easy and cheap to rebuild. Get a video tape with the kit and use simple hand tools. The first time may take you an afternoon while an expirienced person may do it in an hour.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 11:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the hd 20 is as bullit proof as they come...uless you want to get real serious and go for new gears and a locker
but if mild 4x4ing is your thing maybe just put a easy locker or a lockrite in it and be done...
are you looking to swap this in to your xj?

fullsize jeep fanatic
oh yeah> the bigger the better
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2001, 05:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

sycho and hotshot,
thanks for the reply. i have never rebuild an a/trans, have pulled and replaced many. at our shop we can fab just about anything and have done so. we mostly have friends bring in their own parts and put them in. we do setup gears and install lockers but in all the time ive done this ive never had anyone bring in a hd20 to swap in. all 44s or rebuild theirs. ive rebuilt probly 35-40 t-cases but never a a-trans. so with that back ground i guess i can take a shot at it this time !!! lol lol
i bought this waggie for $150.00 , the engine and all the running gear is great but the boddy is shot. so i guess im gonna strip it and keep every thing from the a-trans back. i think the 4 liter should bolt up as we have done many 400 trans that way with no probs.
after i burn up my current axles im gonna swap in these. i might look around for a rear 44 but have not decided yet. thanks for all the help,
karl

I LIKE IT DIRTY,
XJ89XJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode