Tranny Problem/Won't Go - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2001, 01:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tranny Problem/Won\'t Go

Have a friend with an 86 Grand Wag that he re-engined recently. Put in a factory replacement 360, claimed it was no big deal, followed Chilton's to the tee (could be a problem already). He did notice afterward it would occassionally shudder or chug in forward and clunk really hard when putting in reverse. It has progressed. Now in drive it barely goes forward, in reverse it clunks severely, and occassionally in park it will go forward. I'm no tranny man but I don't think he's got his linkage connected properly. I have read it may also be a converter problem, throttle valve problem, etc. Anyone out there that could clarify the linkage arrangement or has done something similar to this please reply. I've got a CJ and he considers me Mr. Jeep and has asked for my help (don't want to crush his heart when he realizes I don't know jack unless I've broke it before). Thanks, Dave

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2001, 09:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tranny Problem/Won\'t Go

Which trans and xfer case are in it? If you can find out maybe I can help.

64 Traveler, 350/ sm465/ np205/ 4.88's/ 33x9.50's/
Line-X interior and more
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2001, 08:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's an 86 Grand Wag. 360/TF727/NP228. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 11:29 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I've got a similar problem. 84 GW. Had transmission rebuilt 2 years ago. Clunks HARD when shifting to reverse. When first started, acts like it doesn't want to go in Drive, but after a while it gets going. Additional item 1: Driving down the freeway - all of a sudden its like I'm in neutral. Stop and put it in Lo range and I'm good to go to the next gas station where I look under the truck and find that the cotter pin is missing that connects the vacuum actuated rod (?) to something on the front of the transfer case. Found a paper clip as a temporary fix and I'm back in Hi range going down the road. Additional Item 2: Weeks after I'm driving down the freeway (different freeway and its like I'm suddenly in neutral again. No missing cotter pin this time. If I stop the engine (even while still rolling at 65mph) and start it again all of a sudden I'm in gear again. This happens more frequently as time goes on now. Any suggestions?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2001, 01:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like the problem I had with mine (727 with 219 transfer) - a very expensive component called a torque biasing viscous coupling hidden inside the transfer case.
hope this does it for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode