What year wagoneer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

What year wagoneer

All right guys, I need some help. I came over from the short wheel base board to get some advice. I plan to buy a tow rig within the next year and was wondering what waggies came with the better options. I know most of the newer ones came with all the power accessories, but what I'm interested in is the drive train. The waggie was discontinued in 91 right? The last ones had chrysler V8s in them correct? Were any fuel injected, and did they have the dana 44 in the back or the chrysler rear? I've always liked the grand wagoneers and now that my Wrangler is on its way to limited street duty I need something to tow it to the farther trails and to haul spare parts and tools.

The only plans for the truck other than some good all terrain tires is to remove the wood panneling(sorry all you woody lovers). Hopefully I wont get bitten by the bug to start building and wheeling this one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2001, 10:37 PM

Re: What year wagoneer

no chrysler engines, no fuel injection, no chrysler rear ends

amc engines ( 360/258), autolite 2100/2150 carbs, dana 44/( heavier than cj duty)amc 20 rears

OzarkJeep

"Bare foot girls, dancing in the moon light..."
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 02:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

If you plan on doing any serious towing, I would look for the 401 powered '74-'78 Cherokee, Wag, or truck. These rigs were available with all the options you could think of besides the frivilous junk like heated seats and power mirrors.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

Ozark...They were amc engines till the end?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2001, 11:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would agree that the late 70's waggies have a better drivetrain for towing... 3.54 gears in Dana 44 front and rear. If you don't mind having a QT unit, the 73-79's with the TH400 will have a QT behind it. I have one and love it! they have a bad rep because of owners not using proper fluid or throwing lockout hubs on them. the later Wags have as low as a 2.73 and 3.31 gear.... 3.54's weren't an option in the 80's as far as I know. Chrysler took over the line in late 78-early 79 I beleive. From the early 80 and on, they were more into economy rather than HP and torque.

78 Wagoneer

14" total lift
4.89's/Lockers/39.5" Swampers
http://home.earthlink.net/~tjnkk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode