HELP PLEASE!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 11:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

HELP PLEASE!!!

Hey all, I just bought an 87 Woody and i got some problems to fix. I am very new to this stuff, some forgive if i sound stupid.
1) I poor water in the radiator, it comes pooring out from the engine somewhere, but i can't see. It is back below the carb, so obviously not the radiator.
2) I don't know how to get it to 4-wheel drive. no manual in truck. there is a switch under dash "2wd-----4wd" and a lever on the right side of the driver seat floor that has "HI N LO" on it. i am sure somebody knows how to shift, but i can't get it to go. The wheel hubs are automatic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 12:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: HELP PLEASE!!!

There should be a 3/4" water line going to the back passenger side top of the manifold... check your hose AND the fitting that screws into the intake manifold... most likely the culprit.

I can't help you out on the 4WD ops cuz I'm not too familiar with the 'newer' GW's ... I'm full-time 4WD with a BW1339 Quadratrac....no shifting, it's always there.

78 Wagoneer

14" total lift
4.89's/Lockers/39.5" Swampers
http://home.earthlink.net/~tjnkk
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 01:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks riverbeast. I checked the hose and fitting. it is all secure. the leak is from the rear of the engine somewhere. it is streaming down to the front of a case just aft of the oil pan, out of sight. any other ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 02:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Above the heads or below... you should be able to tell that by feeling for the wet/dry line...could be a freeze plug... trying to help you out here... I'll go look on mine... I got room to see where they all are....

78 Wagoneer

14" total lift
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 02:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I can't see up (or down) far enough to check where the leak is from. Thanks again for replying and trying to help me out. Bt the way....sweet truck you got there.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 04:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks.... you can 'feel' behind the engine for the wetness try to isolate the area by touch...start at the seam where the head meets the block and sweep down with your hand slowly til you get wetness on your fingers... if it leaks when cold... it may seep on you ..try it...

78 Wagoneer

14" total lift
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 06:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for your continuing help. i still couldn't find the leak, i will try again in the morning. somebody mentioned a freeze plug by the tranny. any ideas on what/where one is, how to check it and any other info.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2001, 10:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There's another coreplug in the rear of the block directly above the crankshaft output. I hope it's not this one that's leaking because you have to pull the engine and separate the flexplate from the crank to get to it.

Chris

post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 12:04 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thank you chrisnsara for your reply. does this mean that there are 2 plugs back there that may be the cause of my trouble? you mentioned a coreplug...is that the same as a freeze plug? if there are 2 plugs, do both require pulling the engine out to replace?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2001, 09:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, there's 3 plugs onhte rear of the engine. 2 small ones are on the cylinder head and the larger one (about 2") is on the block where I mentioned before. Core plugs and freezeplugs are the same thing. I'm just used to referring to them as core plugs. You can replace the ones on the cylinder heads without moving the engine, but it's hard, very tight back there. The one in the block requires pulling the engine or dropping the tranny and removing the flexplate. Make absolutely sure that's the plug thats leaking. If there's an inspection cover for the ring gear (I'm not familiar with the Torqueflite tranny), remove it and see if coolant is coming down between the engine block and the flexplate. You said the coolant comes pouring out of the block. Is it just a trickle or a gush? Coreplug could be dislodged or corroded.

Chris

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode