Gas milage 360 vs. 401 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 11:38 PM
Googenheimer

Gas milage 360 vs. 401

Is there a significant difference in gas mileage between the 360 and the 401? I am looking at FS Cherokees and would like to have enough ooomph to pull a heavy military trailer and yet get as close to 14 mpg as possible (around town, not pulling the trailer of course). Anyone ever owned both?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-24-2006, 09:23 PM

Re: Gas milage 360 vs. 401

goog, i have never owned both, but have towed plenty of heavy things. you mentioned a military trailer, does the trailer use a pintle hitch or a regular ball mount? not that a jeep cant handle trailers with pintle hitches, but usually you find those on huge monstrous heavy things that require something stronger than a ball mount. of course the larger engine will handle the weight better, beware that pulling something supposedly that heavy with an underpowered engine will kill the life of the engine. also, i personally have nothing against jeeps, but if what your towing is that heavy, it will be extremely hard to handle the load in terms of braking and maneuvering, but mostly being able to stop the trailer in a safe distance. (ive seen duallys and 2500's and f250's pull large trailers but never seen a jeep pull more than 5 times its weight or length.) good luck on makin the right decision though.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2006, 10:24 PM
Googenheimer

Sorry, I forget that I'm talking to people who are on a different level of Big than me. It has a ball hitch and when I say big, I mean too big for say my XJ cherokee, but not large enough that I would feel uncomfortable pulling it with a 1/2 ton truck. The tongue weight is pretty hefty according to one of my friends that has pulled it with his Dodge 3/4 ton diesel. I'm sure it would kill the springs on my poor XJ not to mention be hazardous as far as braking is concerned. But I think any FSJ would do fine. I was just curious as to whether the 401 was definitely better to tow with, or if I could get by with the 360 and possibly save on gas.
As for the trailer the best way to describe it is it's kinda like a Drab Green Little Debbie Swiss Roll shape with huge fenders and wheels. The sides of the trailer open and prop up like gull wing doors. We use it for a camping supplies trailer and it does pretty well. It has more ground clearance than most lifted trucks and was definitely built to withstand some serious abuse. Ya' gotta love surplus military stuff!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2006, 11:42 AM

well sounds like you know what youre talkin about and youve spent plenty of time around trailers. i would suggest going withh the 360. the 401 will def. have more power but kills gas mileage. the 360 should be pletny adequate for your towing limit for the jeep since it cant tow huge things anyway. plus it gets exponetially better gas mileage. however if you ever found that you need a little more oomph to pull with the 360, use higher octane fuel, add octane booster, and try an aftermarket k&n air intake. that should be plenty oomph for application. what do you think?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2006, 03:28 PM
Journeyman

Dude, I've got 2 Grand Wagoneers. If your worried about gas mileage you have no business even considering an FSJ.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2006, 08:26 AM
dagrinch

i have a 77 cherokee chief "S" with the 360
it sucks more gas around town then my hot rod GTO (400)
but the orange pumpkin Jeep sure is fun to drive
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode