Can't find a bell housing - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Arlyn

Can\'t find a bell housing

In late April my '83 J20 got stolen and slammed into a crash barrier at an angle. The left steering knuckle, both left rims, left front fender, front bumper, tranny mounts, clutch disk, clutch preasure plate and the bell housing all got totaled. I hate to feel this way, but I got a little satisfaction by the fact that the driver's window also got broken (by the driver's head) and the door panel gained a big dent from his/her shoulder.

I pulled the 360 engine to get to the bell housing and to fix what I thought was the rear main seal leaking into the clutch. I pulled the rear main cap and there was almost no babot left in the bearing (155k miles). If none of this had come up I would have probably gotten 20k more out of that engine, but it's not worth re-installing without a rebuild.

I have replaced everything except the bell housing and I'm waiting for $$ to rebuild the engine.

My problem is this, <font color="red"> </font> I cannot find a bell housing. <font color="black"> </font> It seems, from what I have been able to find out, that this configuration of transmission, a Borg Warner 4 speed, and engine was built between the years '80 to '83 and only on a J20.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-10-2005, 05:18 PM

Re: Can\'t find a bell housing

it should be a pretty common bellhousing, i believe in that year they used the same 4 speed that they used in cj's that year which was a t176 except for it had a longer input shaft than the cj's and it had a spacer between the bellhousing and tranny, but you can still use the bellhousing for a t176 out of a cj and probably even the bellhousing for a t150 too
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-04-2006, 09:51 AM

Re: Can\'t find a bell housing

Does your tranny have a granny 1st gear?

they put Borg Warner T18s in J20 for a few years there in the early 80s.

the bellhousing was a typical T150 unit, with a 5-6" spacer behind it ( with the V8 engine)
got photos of your bellhousing and trans?

i had one, I tossed it years ago, since I converted J truck T18 to a shorter shaft for use in a SWB Jeep.

get some pics and some more info, and we can find one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode