full size 4-speeds - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 02:30 AM Thread Starter

full size 4-speeds

ok, i got a question, on my girlfriends 86 grand wagoneer ive been doing tons of work to it, 6" lift, 35's be here in a few weeks, transmission, t-case, etc, etc...

I decided i was going to use the t176/dana 300 out of a 81 cj5 along with the 44's that i had out of my 78 j-10 w/ 4.10's, well it all went in fine and dandy until i went to put the crossmember in and seen that a t176 out of a cj is way too short, so i got on the horn and called around to find out what i needed to do, jw auto wreckers out in cali said ya they have my adapter and longer input shaft then they called back and said no we just have the adapter, so thats on its way to my house now, now the big problem im having is, where in the friekin heck do i get a longer input shaft that will work in my t176???? ive called several jeep places and seen that the t177 input shaft is considerably longer but another company in houston said i would have to change the cluster gear too (an extra 200 bucks) i cant afford that, ive got enough to buy the t177 input and thats about it, but i cant get a straight answer from anybody if it will work or not! please help me guys! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wall.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-21-2005, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Re: full size 4-speeds

heres a little schooling for you guys that dont know anything about the t176...

after hours and hours of searching i learned that 4 different input shafts and 2 different bearing retainers were made for that tranny, 2 inputs are 9 5/8" long one has 19t and another has 20 if you have the 19t input your screwed because thats the only one that will fit, and they also make 2 13 1/2" inputs one with 20t and one with 22t, the 13 1/2" 20t and the 9 5/8" 20t input are interchangeable, so to sum it up- if you ever wanted to use a t176 out of a cj in you fsj then you have to find the 13 1/2" 20t input (as long as yours is 20t too, mine was) then buy the longer bearing retainer (have fun finding one ha ha) and find the factory adapter that jeep used between the bellhousing and tranny, have fun finding that too, but ive got all my parts being shipped to me, luckily
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode