AMC and Cryco 360 compatibility - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

AMC and Cryco 360 compatibility

I'm a sort of a newbie to the AMC thing and looking for knowledge. The thing is that I got a 360 and a TH-400 in good condition from a J-20 '79 for $115 the other day and I'm planing on droping it into a Volvo. Since I don't know anything about AMC I was wondering if I could use anything from a Dodge 360.

Anyone out there with stacks of knowledge on these engines and how to tune them cheap and efficiently. (NOS is on the hold for now)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2004, 09:22 PM
Journeyman

Re: AMC and Cryco 360 compatibility

Nothing is compatible between AMC and Mopar 360's except the dispacement. I would never waste the effort to put an AMC 360 into anything it didn't bolt into. They are low power, low compression slugs from a bygone era. The few performance parts available are way more expensive than Ford/GM/Mopar. I drive an AMC 360 powered Grand Wagoneer every day and its been treated to a cam, intake, 4-barrel carb MSD ignition TeamRush upgrade and Flowmaster exhaust and it just begins to approach the power produced by a stock similar displacement engine of similar vintage from any of the big 3. However, I respect those who go against the flow and wish you well with your Volvo swap.
I will also point out that my insane cousin put a TPI 350 chevy into like a 73 2-door Volvo (it had a vinyl top if you can believe it) and that thing was an absolut blast!! Major sleeper the 5.0 Mustang weenies didn't know what to think after being blown off by a Volvo,
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Yup I guess we're going against the flow, but we are doing this cheap and it was impossible to get cheaper. We are going for a cam replacement and already got a edelbrock performer intake manifold. It seem's that over here you can get second hand AMC parts for little as a six-pack because nobody wants to use them and they take up space.

The goal is something between 250 and 300 hp and I fully belive that 5.9 litres can produce that with a couple of extras. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2004, 07:49 PM
soundwve

Good price for the engine/tranny combo. Do you plan to rebuild the engine? If so, shave .005" off of the heads, and .005 off the block. And, have the cylinders bored to .030", at least. (You'll need new oversize pistons.) This will bump the compression up, and help with power. And a high torqe starter would be a good idea if rebuilding. (And a QUALITY valve job!) You will also need to change the timing to avoid dieseling. Also, enrich the fuel mixture on the carb slightly. And get an Edelbrock or a Holly carb, stay away from the (Ford) Motorcrap equipment if you can. A Jacobs Electronics Off-Road Energy Pack would do wonders for the engine as well.
The '73-'79 AMC 360ci V-8 puts out 195hp and 295lb/ft of torque.

And the ONLY good things <nobr><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,84686);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(84686);">Chevy</nobr></a></nobr> ever made were the PRE-1982 350ci V-8, and their transmissions. Everything else is junk, or stolen/bought from other companies!!

<nobr><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,217931);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(217931);">Dodge</nobr></a></nobr> is exempt. At least they design their own stuff, usually! [img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode