need help id ing a 79 mutt - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2003, 11:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

need help id ing a 79 mutt

79 chief widetrac

quadratrac with lock out hubs on widetrack D44.

motor swap it appears, dist. on back of motor.

tranny and TC looks stock, pass. drop, no special tranny mount just the stock one.

what do i have here? and more importantly what driveline am I looking at, any thoughts will be appreciated.

pics can be seen at http://community.webshots.com/user/gryphon1118
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 06:31 PM
_Jeff

Re: need help id ing a 79 mutt

best i can tell from your pics -
not a Quadratrac - Q-trac doesn't have pan on bottom #1 and #2 is full time so no need for part time hubs, i'm no expert but it looks like a d20, from the corner of the trans pan it looks like a 400 and engine looks like a 350 buick to me, again no expert here but i'm 99% sure and since a pre 71 full size came with buick 350 engine, turbo 400 engine and d20 t case it is the most likely source for the swap out i didn't see in any of the interior pics whether or not there were t case shifters handles on the floor - there should be, the t400 to d20 adapter has in the past sold for ridiculous amounts of money so it probably will again personally i would keep the whole thing together as one unit but that's me, the 120 mph speedo is not original either im not sure on years but ive only ever seen them on 74 models if you ever think about selling please let me know i could really use the powertrain for a resto project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode