will late 70s(waggy) trans bolt into 86 waggy - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-28-2003, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

will late 70s(waggy) trans bolt into 86 waggy

now ive got cj and a waggy (86amc) to build on. the tranny had been slipping for some time and it finally took a dump today. the $700, 2 yr. daily driver doesn't owe me much. needing immediate transportaion i went and bought a 2000 cherokee and i gotta tell ya that old waggy was 5 times more comfortable and rode 3 times better... but anyway. my buddy has a handfull of late 70's waggys in his personal junkyard on the farm... will these trannys fit into an 86. it has an auto w/ driver side drop t-case behind a 360. gotta admit, i know cj's like the back of my hand but not to much on FSJ's. worse case i yank the motor and ditch the rest, thats why i bought it in the first place but it rode so nice i couldn't scrap it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-31-2003, 12:32 PM
Official Historian

Re: will late 70s(waggy) trans bolt into 86 waggy

The tranny will bolt to the engine but the transfer case will not bolt to the tranny. The late 70's used the dana 20 and quadratrac both of which are passenger side drop. The 80's driver's side drop cases have a different bolt pattern so you can't just bolt it on. The 70's tranny was also a TH400 and the 80's was a TF727 so the adapters are different too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode