a few questions about the '76 cherokee chief - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-07-2003, 04:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

a few questions about the \'76 cherokee chief

O.k.

So I used to be a toyota boy, but i realized the error of my ways and just got a '76 cheokee cheif. I paid a very good price and couldn't resist it. Unfortuantely I don't know much about it. I do know that it has a rebuilt 401, quadratrac and Dana 44's. The engine runs very strong and the tranny is in very good shape. I do not like the Transfer case because it doesn't have a low range. I was wondering what a good bolt up replacement transfercase would be. I was going to swap a t400 tranny and an NP205 in (a buddy was going to give then to me) that was out of a 74 wagoneer, but I then found out that the tranny wouldn't bolt up to my 401 because it sat behind a 350. is this true???
O.k. my other question is: I have a set of 38 boggers that I want to run under the chief. I don't mind fender trimming, so what would be the best suspention lift to get so I can do this? I am really ready to spend, spend, spend. I hope that somebody will be of some assistance. thanks a lot, Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2003, 10:36 PM
soundwve

Re: a few questions about the \'76 cherokee chief

First, the Quad has low range, just not the stick-shifter style. It is a dial in the glove box, vacuum operated. As for swapping, I am not sure, but I think the Quad had its own unique bolt pattern. If you don't mind a stick, a Warner T-18 4-speed with a Dana 20 t-case would work. If you want an auto, call Advance Adapters and see what they recommend. A hardened Chrysler 727 from an early '80s Jeep FSJ comes with a New Process t-case which might survive, unless the 401 is stroked.
The 401 has an American Motors (AMC) bolt pattern, the 350 has a GM/Chevy bolt pattern. They don't match. The 401 WILL physically bolt to any tranny attached to the AMC 232ci, 258ci, 304ci, 360ci, 401ci, 242ci (4.0L) family of engines. As to whether the tranny will hold up to the 401's power is another matter altogether! Also, for lifts, Superlift, Skyjacker, and Rough Country all have lifts for your truck. Visit Rocky Mountain Suspension for prices. All are 3"-4" lifts.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2003, 09:14 AM
Official Historian

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
First, the Quad has low range, just not the stick-shifter style. It is a dial in the glove box, vacuum operated.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, the dial in the glove box is to lock the differential in the transfer case between the front and rear outputs. The low range lever if equipped is on the driver's side of the tranmission hump partially under the seat. The low range was an option. Here's one on ebay not too far from you that has a low range. You can just take the rear cover off yours, remove the snap ring and drive coupler and install the low range.

As to whether the tranny will hold up to the 401's power is another matter altogether!

[/ QUOTE ]

The transmission yours has is the TH400. It is more than capable of handling the power of your 401. Probably better than a TF727.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2003, 04:02 PM
soundwve

Will, I was refering to any tranny OTHER than the TF727 and the TH350/TH400s. Like the Chrysler 999 and 904s.

And I stand corrected on the low range location.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 09:20 PM
_Jeff

will don't forget if you have a 74 like me than the low range doesn't have a handle - the factory opted for a pull cable mounted to the dash just to the right of the steering column
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Official Historian

will don't forget if you have a 74 like me than the low range doesn't have a handle - the factory opted for a pull cable mounted to the dash just to the right of the steering column

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting, I didn't know that. I have a 79 cj7 with the quadratrac and a 78 j-20 parts truck that was quadratrac and they both have levers on the hump. I bought a 75 cherokee for parts too but it was a single speed.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2003, 06:09 PM
_Jeff

yea AFAIK 74 was the only year for this setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode