V8 On-Board-Air - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 01:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

V8 On-Board-Air

I'm planning to install On-Board-Air on a Jeep CJ with a 360 V8 from a '72 J-20. I've seen an A/C setup available in a salvage yard on a Wagoneer with a 360. The compressor was missing the top bracket & the bolt on the top side that I believe is the oil level inspection port. I also noticed that two belts drove the compressor and alternator. To accommodate this, the fan/water pump & crank pulleys each had three belt grooves; the other groove to drive the PS pump. I'm sure the two belts are there to handle the normal load of running A/C.

My engine only has two belt grooves on the fan/water pump & crank pulleys & a single groove on the alternator.

I plan on at least buying the alternator brackets (& possibly the alternator) as I have verified that they are different than mine (to support the bottom of the A/C bracket). I have purchased a set of A/C brackets & a York compressor.

I'm looking for information/suggestions on running the setup on one belt or buying the fan & crank pulleys? Any idea what's involved in pulling the crank pulley (haven't verified how it is attached)? I'm going back to the place next week & will try to negotiate a total price. I may even need to get the PS bracket depending on the offset. Its easy to see that my engine was never setup for A/C.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2003, 11:11 PM

Re: V8 On-Board-Air

I don't see a problem running the A/C on a single belt. Both my GW and my 71 Ford use the same York A/C compressor but the GW has the dual belt setup and the Ford has a single belt. I think that the dual belt on the GW is more for the alternator than for the A/C compressor. I noticed that there is not that much of a contact angle on the alternator on the GW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode