DUNLOP TIRES - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-30-2003, 12:02 AM Thread Starter
Can't Get Enough

DUNLOP TIRES

My Jeep is going to need new tires before next winter's snows start blowing. Therefore, I am looking now that I might find something (and actually have them mounted) in 5-6 mos. (Can you spell "p-r-o-c-r-a-s-t-i-n-t-o-r"?)

I saw some Dunlops (Mud Rovers) today @ Sam's Club and liked them. I've also read positive reports about Dunlop tires, in general, in Consumer Reports.

Once home, I got onto the Dunlop website and discovered the Rover RV's and Rover RT's. The RV looks like an all-terrain type and the RT more suitable for snow.

Anyone out there had any experience w/ any of these tires... or know someone who has? Personal experience &/or anecdotal info are both appreciated. (I'm starting almost from scratch here.)

As far as choosing a model, I 'plan' to do more off-roading (currently living in northern VA), but I'd guess the tire will primarily be on-road use (80+%?) as my daily driver. Any suggestions there? While I'd like to have the aggressive tread of the Mud Rover, the 'snow'-type Rover RT looks like it might be a good compromise. (It's supposed to be a mite cheaper too.)

I solicite any and all comment/suggestions/recommendations from my fellow, more-experienced off-roaders.

Many thanks & God bless!

R/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 06:24 AM
soundwve

Re: DUNLOP TIRES

I'm partial toward Goodyear, myself. BFGoodrich is good, also. Don't know much about Dunlop.
MTs aren't good for ice, which we see alot of. ATs are better. RT, by the way, stands for "Road Terrain". Good for road use, sucks off-road. (See "worthless factory tires")
A good compromise would be an "all season" tire like the Goodyear Workhorse. I had a set of 'em on a '76 Cherokee I sold, and I never got stuck in that truck. They powered thru everything. Good ice traction, too. (We use gravel here. Salt won't work.) Stick with "LT", or light truck, tires (ex: LT235/75R15, 33X12.5-15LT) for better traction, reliability, and handling!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2003, 11:54 PM

Greetings from another NV SUV driver. I have Grand Cherokee 95 with 215000 Miles. Last 80K have been on Dunlop Radial Rovers (RT). They are great in Snow, and on the road. Have only been off road once to rescue a son in a Wrangler stuck in some swampy area. Didn't have a lick of trouble with getting in and hauling him out. Did have one small problem with directions when he tried to take me over the bank at the end of the road and I high centered the Grand. Backed off and went around no problem.
Having had the Goodyear Wranglers as original equipment and one set of replacements, the Dunlops are as equal or better than OE. Modest off road probably acceptable. If you intend the 80+ highway percentage, stick with the best tires for that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-09-2003, 12:04 AM

I'm running 30x9.50 Remington Wide Brutes. I've had no complaints with them but will most likely go with BFG KOs next time as I hear that they are the best AT tire out there and reportedly the only AT with a 4 ply sidewall. A good substitute for the stock P235/75/15 is the LT 31x9.50. It is slightly taller but not enough to where it throws the speedometer accuracy off or needs regearing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode