Limited Slip Diff Replacement or Powertrax - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Full Sized All discussion of full sized Jeeps: Wagoneer, Full Size Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Limited Slip Diff Replacement or Powertrax

My 87 GW has a factory limited D44 in the rear but the differential acts like an open diff. I haven't opened it up yet but figured that the only cause could be a worn out clutch pack. What is involved in replacing the clutch pack and do I need to remove the carrier? Also, I've considered replacing the limited slip with a Powertrax. The ads claim that the Powertrax is quiet. My GW is a family ride, meaning that I don't want any diff noise, but does see occasional moderate desert trail use. Any feedback from others who have installed the Powertrax is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2003, 06:43 AM
soundwve

Re: Limited Slip Diff Replacement or Powertrax

You have several different choices due to your axle type. Besides the PowerTrax, there is the Quick-Loc (another mini-locker), the ARB vac-operated locker (turn it off when it isn't needed for open-diff handling), the new Elec-Trac by Detroit Locker (an electrically activated locker like the ARB), and the Auburn Gear limited-slip (superior to the factory Dana-Spicer limited). Take your pick. All are good, but not all are strong. Here's their strength ratings:
1. ARB
2. Detriot Elec-Trac
3. Auburn Gear limited-slip
4. PowerTrax & Quick-Loc
The prices follow their strength ratings. ARB is the most expensive, and the PowerTrax and Quick-Loc are the cheapest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode